BA Dance is a practice-based programme designed to prepare students for a career in the dance/performance industry. The course enables the development of technical, choreographic and performance skills while preparing students for employment opportunities within the sector.
UCAS Code: W502
Institution Code: T80
93% of UWTSD students at the School of Performing Arts in Camarthen were satisfied with the teaching on their course - National Student Survey 2016
The first year of the BA Dance programme concentrates on the development of technique in a number of dance styles, cultivating expertise as a collaborator and choreographer, while learning about the significance of dance in promoting health and well-being. These practical areas of study are underpinned by relevant theory and conceptual approaches.
The second year explores acquired skills and knowledge in a variety of contexts to include performance and community practice.
The final year provides flexibility for specialist study alongside performance, including public productions.
Throughout the course students are encouraged to forge links with the dance and health industries to assist in the progression from study to employment.
Typical modules include:
- Contemporary Techniques
- Preparation for the Dance Industry
- Dance Technique in Performance
- Leadership in Dance
- Dance Health and Well-being
- Dance in Context
- Exploring Dance Styles
- Introduction to Choreography
- Dance and other Art Forms
- Applied Health and Well-being
- Repertoire in Context
- Physical Theatre
- Choreography and Creative Practice
- Interdisciplinary Dance
- Major Production
- Independent Project
Reasons to choose this course include:
- Strong links with dance and health professionals and industries
- Study abroad available in the USA
- Access to Health and Fitness suites
- Work placement opportunities
- Performance opportunities in a range of venues and on tour
- Rigorous training, practical study, a supportive atmosphere and personal attention
You will be invited to visit the University to audition.
Entry is based on individual merit.
Career and employment opportunities:
- Community Dance Worker
- Dance Teacher
- Fitness Instruction/Health Promotion Adviser
- Dance/Movement Therapy
- Postgraduate study/research
If you'd like to find out more about BA Dance at UWTSD, you can come along to an Open Day. At an open Day you will meet the course tutors, have a tour of our facilities and the campus, as well as talk to our Student Services about finance, student support and accomodation. You can find out more about our Open Days here.