BSc Health Management
UWTSD ranked 7th in the UK for student satisfaction in Social Work - NSS 2017
Health and Social Care is changing in Wales.
Do you want to find a career or progress within Health Management?
Do you want to achieve a qualification that will provide opportunities to climb the professional ladder in Health and Social Care? Then this is the course for you.
The Health Management programme at UWTSD work closely with three health boards and a wide range of local and national organisations to build upon our excellent reputation in preparing you for employment. We also offer a high level of support to help you develop the professional, practical and academic skills needed to succeed. There are over 350 job roles in the NHS – one of them is waiting for you.
We offer flexible programmes which work around you and your life as much as possible. All our courses are offered as FULL or PART time programmes. We offer flexibility within all our part-time routes across all our programmes within the Health Portfolio.
The Health Management Programme is offered as a BSc and HND. The programme provides the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective manager in the health and healthcare sector. You will gain an understanding of the external context in which healthcare organisations operate, how they are managed, as well as the analytical techniques that can be applied to the decision-making process within the Health Sector.
We can offer you the opportunity to visit the campus and meet the teaching team. We will answer any questions and if required a one to one informal chat can be arranged. Please email the named contact at the top of the screen if you would like to know more.
- Counselling Skills and Communication
- Introduction to Public Health
- Managing Organisations
- Personal and Academic Development
- Psychology in Health and Social Care
- Social Policy in Health and Social Care
- Complementary Therapies
- Health Economics
- Introduction to Research
- Leading and Managing Health and Social Care Teams
- Principles of Health and Social Care Practice
- Workplace Practice: Employability Skills Level 5
- Coaching, Mentoring and Team Work in Health and Social Care
- Workplace Practice: Continued Professional Development
- Health Portfolio Dissertation*
- Emerging Issues*
- Facilitating Change and Managing Quality
- Health, Wellbeing and Sustainable Development
- Research Project*
This programme offers an academically challenging, vocational experience which incorporates innovative teaching and assessment methods.
The opportunity to take on public or voluntary sector work experience is a key theme throughout all our programmes. We will work with you to find the placement which suits your future goals.
We are proud of our strong student support and study skills development programme. We will also equip you with wider skills such as interview skills, mentoring and life coaching skills within the first year.
The Health Portfolio boasts a high rate of employability within 6 months for graduating students. A number of graduates also progress to postgraduate studies.
Assessments include; essays, exams, reports, presentations, reflective blogs and professional portfolios.
You will be asked to utilise information technology communication and organisational skills for your assignments.
Applicants will require AT LEAST ONE of the following:
- 80 UCAS points or equivalent.
- Or HND with 50% average grades
- Or BTEC PASS
- Or at least three years’ experience in related setting (this could include entrance interview and written test depending on your employment experience)
- Or Access Diploma at 45 PASS credits
- Or independent applicant (i.e. over 21 years old) with relevant life experience*
- DBS update system a requirement for ALL UWTSD applicants
*You may be given pathway options in this instance
We have a very strong employment support and work experience system within the Health Portfolio. We work with three health boards as well as a variety of public and private organisations, companies and charities in the Health Sector within West Wales to build opportunities for all our students.
We also offer short courses for businesses and a Pathway course for applicants with no formal qualifications wishing to enter the sector or higher education*
- HND Health Management
- HND Health and Social Care
- BSc Health and Social Care
- Dip HE Nursing Studies and Health
- FdSc Health and Care of Children and Young People (formerly FdA Children and Young People)
- BSc Health and Care of Children and Young People (formerly BSc Children and Young People)
*subject to validation