Motorsport Management - BSc | HND
90% of UWTSD students at the School of Engineering agreed that the library resources (e.g. books, online services and learning spaces) have supported their learning well – NSS 2017.
Motorsport Management is a management degree programme with a specific focus on the motorsport industry and the proximity to the other degrees in the Logistics Portfolio enhances the focus upon the management of a chain of supply from the production of a racing vehicle to the spectacle of a race venue.
Thus students proficient in such disciplines as Motorsport Management are able to exploit opportunities in this continually expanding industrial sector. The School of Engineering maintains close links with the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) and other motorsport related organisations and is the preferred source of ‘Motorsport Ambassadors’ selected by the MIA to man their stand at motorsport industry shows and the prestigious annual House of Lords event. In addition, we will give you the opportunity to gain hands-on management experience with real race teams in real competitions.
The programme is designed to ensure that prospective and practising managers have a sound understanding of the operational, technical and personal aspects of the day-to-day management of all types of logistic operations, their facilities and infrastructure.
During their studies students develop and enhance:
- their powers of persuasion through the improvement of their oral and written communication skills;
- their analytical skills through developing the ability to sift information quickly and produce coherent reports;
- their ability to plan and coordinate the allocation of resources and their ability to manage a workforce with due recognition of diversity in all of its forms.
In other words students develop the attributes of a good manager and one that recognises that gaining a BSc(Hons) is just the start of the process of Continual Professional Development.
Level 4 - HNC / HND / BSc (Hons)
- Management and eBusiness
- Statistics for Logistics
- Transport Planning and Professional Competence
- Introduction to Logistics
- Motorsport and Society
Introduction to Marketing and Consumer Behaviour
- Skills for Professional Practice
- Financial Management and Economics
- Research Methods
- Data Acquisition and Dynamics
- Sustainable Logistics
- Logistics Modelling
- Social Trends and Consumerism
Level 6 - BSc (Hons)
- Operations Analysis
- Human Resource Management
- Procurement and Contract Law
- Motorsports Events Management
- plus a 40-credit Dissertation
According to the MIA (2011) there are in the United Kingdom there are in the region of 4,500 companies that are:
‘......... involved in the UK Motorsport and Performance Engineering Industry, boasting an annual turnover of ₤6 billion – of which £3.6 billion exported. As a result, Motorsport Valley® is a major source of value-added to the British economy - its average R&D spend of 30% of turnover dwarfing even the UK Pharmaceutical and IT industries.’
The creative side of motorsport involves events management, public relations, marketing, sponsorship and a host of other support functions and accounts for approximately ₤1.7 billion of the yearly Industry total. UK Motorsport supports 38,500 full and part-time jobs.
More than 30% of those employed are in non-engineering disciplines, such as management, marketing, promotion and the social side of the motorsport industry and the BSc (Hons) Motorsport Management programme offers students with this entry profile an opportunity to access a range of job opportunities in that industry.
The course is assessed by a mixture of coursework, presentations and examinations.
The normal entry requirements are:
64 UCAS Tariff points (previously 160) for awards appearing on the UCAS Tariff Table (ie 2 GCE A Levels at appropriate grades such as A+E = 64, B+D = 64 or C+C = 64).
NVQ Level 3 in an appropriate subject.
Modern apprenticeship Level 3 vocational qualifications.
Other equivalent qualifications (e.g. International and European Baccalaureates, City and Guilds, SCOTVEC awards).
40 UCAS Tariff points (previously 120)
Our offers are not solely based on academic results. We take your skills, achievements and life experience into consideration. In such cases, they must provide evidence of capacity to pursue the course successfully. We like to give such applicants every opportunity to show that they have the motivation and ability to succeed in their chosen programme.
Six months after graduation, all graduates are in employment or further study.
Our Logistics and motorsport Management programmes cover a broad range of topics that can lead to a huge number of careers. Here is a list of our recent graduates new job roles:
- Architecture engineer at Jaguar Land Rover
- Associate Personal Banker at Natwest
- Based at Silverstone Innovation Centre, working for CMA Marketing
- Branch Manager at Enterprise Rent-A-Car UK
- Business Development Manager at Old Hall Performance
- CEO and Founder and Owner at ESL Teacher Recruitment
- Consultant at SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit - formerly Interfleet
- Demand Planner at Actavis UK Ltd
- E-Commerce Assistant at Demon Tweeks
- Finance Officer at Neath Port Talbot CBC
- Graduate Logistics Procurement Executive at Tesco Plc
- International Relation Officer at Round Table Norway
- Local Business Development Executive at Trainer BMW
- Material Planner at Caterpillar UK
- Owner at Undercover Imports: an e-Commerce Japanese car accessories, parts and lifestyle products business
- Power Systems Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover
- Project Executive at Motorsport Industry Association
- Property Manager at Prodrive
- Proprietor at Arch Attack
- Sales Coordinator at McLaren GT
- Senior Consultant, Business Transformation at Babcock International
- Senior Partnership Manager at PRISM - Public Relations & International Sports Marketing
- Senior Transport Consultant at Foster Tachographs Limited - experts in EC Drivers' Hours Law & Analysis
- SLD Member/CVD Organiser/Graphic Designer at Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
- Transport Assistant at NFT Distribution
- Transport Supervisor at Norbert Dentressangle
- Website Manager at Owen Developments
This programme has been revalidated to meet the needs of this rapidly changing sector.
Please check our website for up-to-date details for endorsement by the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA).