History and Timeline
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD) was formed on 18 November 2010 through the merger of the University of Wales Lampeter and Trinity University College Carmarthen, under Lampeter’s Royal Charter of 1828. On the 1 August 2013, Swansea Metropolitan University became part of UWTSD. The University’s Royal Charter is the oldest in Wales and England after the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. In 2011 HRH the Prince of Wales became its Royal Patron.
The campus was founded in 1822 as St David’s College to provide a liberal education to members of the clergy.
Over the years it developed a range of subjects and, as the University of Wales Lampeter, enjoyed a reputation for undergraduate and postgraduate provision in English, Archaeology, Chinese, Classics, History, Theology, as well as introducing new areas such as Philosophy, Anthropology, Ancient Civilisations and Creative Writing.
Now, as UWTSD, the academic community continues to thrive and the portfolio offered attracts an international cohort of students each year.
The original 1848 building lies at the heart of the Carmarthen campus. It was initially known as South Wales and Monmouthshire Training College and was established to train teachers for church schools in England and Wales. It later became known as Trinity College and subsequently Trinity University College before joining forces with the University of Wales Lampeter to create UWTSD.
For most of the twentieth century there were three separate educational institutions serving the city of Swansea: the Swansea College of Art (established in 1853); the Swansea College of Education (established in 1872) and Swansea Technical College (established in 1895).
In 1976, the three institutions came together to form the West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education, which eventually became Swansea Institute of Higher Education. In 2008, the Privy Council gave permission for the institution to be renamed Swansea Metropolitan University and, several years later, the institution merged with the Lampeter and Carmarthen campuses to create the new UWTSD.
University of Wales Lampeter
- 1822 Foundation of St David’s College by Bishop Burgess
- 1827 First students admitted on St David’s Day
- 1828 Received first charter
- 1960 First funding received from the University Grants Committee
- 1971 Joined the University of Wales
- 1971 Changed name to St David’s University College
- 1996 Changed name to University of Wales Lampeter
- 2010 Merger with Trinity University College and creation of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Trinity University College Carmarthen
- 1847 Foundation stone laid of the South Wales and Monmouthshire Training College
- 1848 Opening of the College
- 1931 New name of Trinity College adopted
- 1990 Accreditation by the University of Wales for degrees
- 2008 Achievement of taught degree awarding powers
- 2009 Achievement of University College status
- 2010 Merger into the University of Wales Lampeter and creation of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Swansea Metropolitan University
- 1853 Establishment of Swansea College of Art
- 1872 Establishment of Swansea College of Education
- 1895 Establishment of Swansea Technical College
- 1976 West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education
- 1991 Swansea Institute of Higher Education
- 2008 Achievement of University status and change of name to Swansea Metropolitan University
- 2013 Merger into the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- 2010 Formed by supplemental Royal Charter 1828
- 2013 Merger of Swansea Metropolitan University
- 2013 Merger of Coleg Sir Gâr into the UWTSD Group
- 2014 Merger of Coleg Ceredigion into the UWTSD Group