English Language Support
English Language Support for International Students
All international students are expected to have a good working knowledge of the English language. However, academic situations can present new problems.
The International Office on our Swansea campus offers a range of support in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) during your studies, including both one-to-one tutorials and classes.
Examples of content are as follows:-
- Essay structure: from 3000 word essays to dissertations
- Referencing skills: citations and bibliographies
- Critical analysis: e.g. facts versus opinions
- Academic Reading: authentic reading texts on your subject area
- Academic Listening: listening to lectures & tutorials
- Academic Writing: discussion essays, paraphrasing, summary writing
- Academic speaking: presentations, pronunciation
- Vocabulary skills: the academic word list, linking words, collocation
- Grammar skills: tenses, sentence structure, parts of speech
Another way that the university can help you is via the Independent Study Area (ISA) which is a site on the Swansea Moodle site.
‘Moodle’ is the University’s ‘virtual learning environment (VLE)’, and online space where you will find your study materials and information about your course.
The Independent Study Area includes over 20,000 resources accessible via 12 main sections (Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing: General, Writing: Essays, Grammar, Vocabulary, Faculties, Study Skills, Videos, Tests and Games, Exams).
Carmarthen and Lampeter Campuses
The University also offers international students support with the English language throughout their degree on either the Carmarthen or Lampeter campus. This support comprises language classes and individual sessions that focus on the areas in which help is needed. Classes are designed to suit individual needs but could, for example, focus on academic writing skills or the spoken language.
Subjects covered include:
- Academic writing style
- Structuring assignments
- How to proofread work
- Time management