Religious Studies and Theology
Subject Guides include information on subject specific web resources, ebooks, ejournals and helpful classification numbers. Digital and Information Literacy Skills Sessions can be arranged for groups or individuals. If you would like additional help please use our booking form to arrange a session or e-mail your Subject Librarian:
Subject Librarian - Carmarthen
Subject Librarian - Lampeter
Telephone: 01570 424773
Books are located on the upper floor (001-841) and the lower floors (841-999) of the library at the Lampeter campus. It is important to search the library catalogue in order to find specific titles. Some relevant classification numbers for Religious Studies and Theology are listed below:
|200.19||Psychology of religion|
|201||Philosophy of religion|
|270||Christian church history|
|306.6||Anthropology of religion|
|791.43682||Religion & film|
- ACLS Humanities E-Book
- Brill E-books
- Dawsonera E-Books
- EBSCO E-book Collection
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Athens login required*.
- Oxford Scholarship Online
Many of our e-resources require you to login using your university IT account.
* To request an Athens login, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name and your student ID number or staff email address.
The main collection of Religious Studies and Theology print journals is located at the lower floor while the latest journals are displayed on the ground floor of the library at the Lampeter campus. It is important that you use the catalogue to locate individual journal titles. Some useful journals are listed below. Many of our journals are also available electronically.
A selection of full text e-journals as well as the indexes and abstracts are available via the library. Many of our e-resources require you to login using your university IT account.
To search for full text e-journal articles by subject, you can go to the library catalogue or go to specific e-journal resources on the E-Journal Collections. Some useful e-journal collections for Religious Studies and Theology are:
The easiest way to find full text e-journal articles is to use the library catalogue. E-journal titles can be located using the E-Journal search. Below are links to some useful e-journal titles for Religious Studies and Theology:
- Contagion : journal of violence, mimesis, and culture
- The international journal for the psychology of religion
- Journal for the scientific study of religion
- Journal of beliefs & values : studies in religion & education
- Journal of feminist studies in religion
- Journal of psychology and theology
- Journal of religious thought
- Modern theology
- Religious studies
- Religious studies and theology
- Religious studies review
- Review of religious research
- Theology & sexuality : the journal of the Institute for the Study of Christianity and Sexuality
A complete list of journal collections can be viewed at Electronic Journals A-Z list.
The Library subscribes to a number of e-resources, of which the following might be useful:
ATLA Religion Database supports religious and theological scholarship in education and research. It contains thousands of citations from international titles and multi-author works in the field of religion.
John Johnson collection provides access to fully searchable colour images of 65,000 items from the Bodleian Library's John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera, offering unique insights into the changing nature of everyday life in the eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Loeb Classical Library is a digital library of Greek and Latin texts in the original language and in translation, covering all major authors of the Greco-Roman world from Homer to late antiquity.
Oxford Art Online covers all aspects of the visual arts from prehistory to the present day, from art and architecture to ceramics and photography. It gives access to the text of over 50,000 articles from the 34 volume Dictionary of Art, the Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms, and the Oxford Companion to Western Art.
Oxford Scholarship Online is a searchable full-text database of scholarly books in a range of subjects including Religion.
Many of our e-resources require you to login using your university IT account. A complete list can be viewed at All Resources.
- Academic Info: World Religion Gateway
- The Bible Gateway
- Biblical Studies on the Web
- The New Testament Gateway
- Theology WebSite's Electronic Text Index
- Virtual Religion Index
- Voice of the Shuttle: Religious studies
- Facets of Religion
- Guide to Early Church Documents
- Internet for Religious Studies - web based tutorial
- Internet Sacred Text Archive
- Literary Resources -- Classcial and Biblical
- Rambi: The Index of Articles on Jewish Studies
- Resource Pages for Biblical Studies focuses on the early Christian world and its writings and includes links to the Qumran texts, and a Philo of Alexandria page
- Scrolls from the Dead Sea: The Ancient Library of Qumran and Modern Scholarship