Graduate Certificate in Additional Learning Needs
A part-time, 1 year qualification suitable for classroom and multi-agency practitioners involved in the identification and support of children with additional needs.
This course provides support for the continuing professional development of those working with children and young people, by enhancing their knowledge and understanding of theory and research and addressing a range of issues relating to additional need.
- A critical reflection on the changing perceptions of special educational need and learning differences, for example an exploration of the medical and social models of disability.
- An overview of the current and evolving legislative framework in relation to the development of policy, provision and practice in additional need and inclusion in Wales, including the Welsh language dimension.• A critical evaluation of research and best practice guidelines in relation to additional need (including identification, assessment, planning; maximising curriculum access, effective teaching, promoting social and emotional development, promoting positive behaviour) will be considered in the context of a range of additional need which will include physical or sensory needs, communication needs, social and emotional development and the impact on learning. For example, speech, language and communication needs, specific learning difficulties and the autism spectrum.
- An appraisal of the agencies and skills embedded within disciplines which contribute to the learning and teaching environment and the empowerment of individuals with additional needs.
This course is ideal for those who work with children and already hold an undergraduate degree. Successful completion of the course will equip students to develop their professional responses to identification, assessment and intervention of children with additional needs.
It will also provide a framework for the development of a comprehensive analysis of current theories and research relating to inclusive education. It is an ideal opportunity to undertake continuous professional development in an area that will impact directly on classroom and multi-agency practice, professional knowledge and expertise.
- SJSI6052: 6000 Word Case Study; 2000 Word Reflective Log
- SJSI6053: 8000 Word Dissertation
The course will suit educators and multi-agency practitioners wishing to access professional development, particularly in the field of Special Needs or Additional Needs. Students who undertake this course will gain a sound understanding of identifying and supporting pupils with additional needs through the principles of an inclusive framework.