The Boddam Hours
Roderic Bowen Library and Archives, MS. VII
University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter
This manuscript of the Office or Hours of the Blessed Virgin Mary was written in France for use in the diocese of Rouen in the fifteenth century, apparently for the woman who is represented in the picture of the Virgin and child on f.68r [no. 16].
The manuscript was in the possession of Charles Boddam, of Trinity College, Cambridge in 1782 (inscription dated ‘June 1st 1782’) and was subsequently acquired by Thomas Phillips of Brunswick Square, London (a major benefactor to the library) who presented it in 1846.
The manuscript includes, in addition to the text of the Hours of the Virgin, fourteen pictures within architectural frames, six of which are full page. These images are reproduced in the following exhibition...