Cumberland Lodge Scholarship Scheme 2017-2019
This is a two-year programme Sept 17 to Sept 19 for doctoral students studying at universities in the UK, designed to fit around their studies. The scholarship offers a unique opportunity for 6 students from any discipline to develop skills in communication, public engagement, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
Participation in the Cumberland Lodge Scholarship programme will involve:
- An annual retreat
- The retreat brings scholars together at the start of the academic year for a weekend induction retreat, from Friday to Sunday afternoon, to introduce them to one another and the Lodge. The event includes input from, and discussion with, a leading academic on a topic of general interest, and communication training.
- Participating in Cumberland Lodge conferences
- Over the two years of the scholarship, scholars will participate in four Cumberland Lodge conferences. Conferences normally run for 36 hours, i.e. inside two days, requiring one night to be spent at the Lodge.
- Annual Lecture and Dinner
- Each year a leading figure gives the annual lecture, which is followed by a dinner for Trustees, staff and invited guests. Scholars are expected to attend and help host the event. The time commitment is one afternoon and evening, plus travel.
- Scholars are expected to write a short follow-up piece after each event they attend at the Lodge. This can take the form of a blog, journal entry, article or website material.
- Social media
- Scholars are encouraged to engage with the work of the Lodge via social media channels, particularly whilst attending conferences and events.
- Acting as an ambassador
- Scholars are expected to help make others aware of the Lodge and its activities at their universities and elsewhere, and when requested, to provide material for Cumberland Lodge promotional activities.
Why should I apply?
While competition will be stiff, it is well worth applying as writing applicaitons, whether for research grants, post-doctoral funding or jobs is an essential skill.
Making an application will attract 1 RDP credit.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 31 March 2017.
Applicants will be informed if they are shortlisted for interview by Tuesday 2 May 2017 and interviews will take place by Skype during the week commencing Monday 8 May 2017.
If you make an application please let us know. Dr Matt Briggs is available to offer assistance an look over applications if required. E:mail contact: email@example.com
Full informtion about the Scheme is availabe here: Cumberland Lodge Scholarship Scheme 2017-19 Further Information