Memorial, superstitions, heirlooms, and amulets have consistently been interconnecting themes which have inspired and informed Anna’s work be it jewellery or large-scale installation.
Fashion, jewellery, adornment and the body
Anna realised that she was striving to discover the symbolic significance of objects in peoples lives whether they be personal, religious, cultural or universal.
Stemming from a fascination with recording her own personal history, Anna became interested in the relationship people have with certain objects and how they influence behavior and belief through their material meanings.
These influences are interpreted both symbolically and visually in her work. This has recently merged into much darker themes exploring death itself and its connection to beauty and to the idea of the object fetish. The Uncanny has become central to the development of the work and the nature of veiling.
Anna is always drawn to the idea of magic in objects and of otherworldliness in myth and storytelling, this often occurs in her work.
Anna combines materials such as feathers, leather, wood, silver and stones that are printed with delicate traces of memory. Personal memory and emotion with reference to a lost time are constant threads running through the work.
Some of the photographs and films deliberately set out to undermine people’s sense of normality whilst creating a somewhat disturbing dream like state.
Research Interests include:
Fashion object, jewellery, textiles (leather), Surface pattern design, fashion film/photography, design for performance
3D printing, materiality (mixed media) laser/waterjet/plotter cutting, digital print, embellishment, print, metalwork, stitch, leather, experimental drawing/collage
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 481031
Full academic profile
- Waterfront Museum, Swansea ‘Time Let Me Play’ - Staff show for Foundation Art & Design – June 2015
- “Dark Tales’ Llantarnam Grange arts Centre, 29/3/14 – 17/5/14
- Origin – Somerset House week 2. 2009
- Solo showcase – Llantarnam Grange. 2009
- Origin - Somerset House. 2008
- British Jewellers – Dan Ginza gallery – Tokyo, 2008
- Brilliance - Craft Central - Coutts London Jewellery Week. 2008
- Solo show at Gallery Si - Kobe, Japan, 2008
- New Traditional Jewellery ‘faith’ competition finalist - Sieradd – Amsterdam, 2008
- Anna Lewis - Cathexis - Mission Gallery, Swansea & Catalogue. 2007
- Crafts Council Showcase at V&A Shop, London. 2006
- Jewellers in summer – gallery Arai – Tokyo. 2006
- SOFA - Chicago with Ruthin Crafts Centre - Navy Pier, Chicago. 2006
- Brilliantly Birmingham In Milan - Triennale Museum – Milan. 2005
- Jewellery Unlimited - Bristol City Museum & Art Gallery. 2004
- The Body Conscious - Crafts Council Shop at the V&A Museum. 2004
- Mergings - National Gallery Of The Cayman Islands. 2004
- Wales in New South Wales - Museum of Contemporary Art – Sydney. 2003
- Jewellery meets textiles - Contemporary Applied Arts – London. 2003
- New wave - Wales / Scotland II - Ruthin Craft Centre & The Scottish Gallery. 2003
- 30 / 30 vision - The Crafts Council - London - touring with Catalogue. 2003
- Dazzle - Royal National Theatre – London. 2002
- Solo exhibition - The Harley Gallery – Nottinghamshire. 2002
- Chelsea Crafts Fair - London - Shortlisted for Janet Fitch Jewellery Award. 2004
- Schmuck - Munich, with catalogue. 2002
- One Year On - Crafts Council at New Designers, London. 2001
- ‘Destination Unknown’- Ruthin Craft Centre, with catalogue. 2001
Featured in publication (image on back cover) http://www.gomer.co.uk/index.php/books-for-adults/art/post-war-to-post-modern-a-dictionary-of-artists-in-wales.htmlPost-war To Post-modern: A Dictionary Of Artists In Wales By Peter W Jones, Isabel Hitchman 2015.
Through the work in this research area the School has active research links and collaborations with researchers and practitioners in Japan
Makers Using Technology – 2 month artist in residence – 3d printing research. JUNE/JULY 2014 info online: http://www.designwalesforum.org/blog/item/id/residency4-anna-lewis