Simon Kilshaw is a composer, performer, sonic artist , songwriter, producer, Artistic Director of SAW (Sonic Arts in Wales), software designer, inventor and instrument builder, systems programmer, Digital Creator through coding.
Simon invents new musical instruments using a wide variety of digital technologies, from sensors and tracking hardware to pure coded environments. Simon has developed a range of instruments and compositional tools for the creation of new musical works.
Simon is a composer and sound artist and is the Programme Director for the Music Technology course at University of Wales Trinity St David. His work is inspired by the early 20th century pioneers of electronic noise machines, particularly the Italian Futurist movement.
Please see Simon's website for details of works, compositions and research.
Tel: 01792 481000
Full academic profile
Selected exhibitions/Film festivals/conference papers
- 2012- Y Lle Celf - Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru
- Visual Arts Exhibition- Sonic Postcards from the Vale of Glamorgan August 2012
- Key note presentation- Institute of Engineering and Technology- “The Digital Luthier” Swansea December 2015 Christmas Lecture
- Collaborative Processes in Music Making: Pedagogy and Practice 'Collaborative e-tools for Electroacoustic composition and performance in a virtual conservatoire' University of Surrey November 2009
- Toronto Electroacoustic Symposium, 2009 Toronto
Paper presentation and performance
- “Invisible instruments” & “Eyesound”, Trinity College Dublin 2015
- “The Final Punchline”- film soundtrack by Simon Kilshaw march du film- Cannes Film Festival may 2011
- Clermont 38th International Film festival – black comedy drama category 2011
“Composers in Wales” - “An Introduction to Acousmatic music” Article, March 2013
Sonic Arts Network CD double compilation
Jeu de temps- Cache 2003 CA + UK
CEC-PeP, PEP008, 2004
La Pecora Perduta http://www.musicsense.it/146597video1992421-.htm
Teacher’s Notes Avante Garde: http://vtcpsa.hwb.wales.gov.uk/musicappraising/Contents/teachersnotes/?contentid=14
Imdb credit: The final Punchline
Sain : Sound
Sain: Sound is a new documentary film poject currently in production. Its aim is to explore and iulluminate the sonic arts scene which is currently flourishing in Wales. Due for release in 2016
- Abertawe Festival for Young Musicians Sonic Arts Workshop Saturday, 14 February 2015
- National theatre of wales – collaborative project “Out of The Box” 2011
- BBC Radio Wales- Interviewed as “Special guest” on “World Listening Day” August 2013
- National lottery grant with Gem Trears. Exploring and designing performance technology for contemporary dance. 2011
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching award
“Sonic Arts in Wales” founded 2007