Dr David Rousseau
Honorary Research Fellow
Dr David Rousseau PhD (Wales)
- 2012 PhD (Religious Studies), Univ. of Wales TSD
- 2008 MPhil study towards PhD candidature, Dept of Philosophy, Univ. of Wales TSD
- 1984 BEng (Electronics), University of Pretoria
- 2013 – present Visiting Fellow, Centre for Systems Studies, Univ. of Hull, UK
- 2012 – present Director and Founder, Centre for Systems Philosophy, UK
- 2003 – 2011 Projects Director, Centre for Fundamental & Anomalies Research, UK
- 2002 – 2003 Director, eBusiness Solutions, Applied Materials Inc., (UK Division)
- 1997 – 2002 Manager, Technical Information Services & Systems, Applied Materials
- 1992 – 1996 Systems Analyst (Contract), London, UK
- 1987 – 1991 Programmes Manager, Denel Corporation, RSA
- 1984 – 1985 Part-time Lecturer, Dept of Electronic Engineering, Univ. of Pretoria, RSA
- 1983 – 1986 Part-time Lecturer in Electronics, Centre for Highly Gifted Children, RSA
- 1983 – 1984 Research Assistant , Fuchs Institute for Micro-Electronics, UP, RSA
- Centre for Spirituality Studies, University of Hull (UK)
- Executive member, British Association for the Study of Spirituality
- Association for Transpersonal Psychology
- International Society for the Systems Science
- Bertalanffy Center for the Study of Systems Science
- Institute of Philosophy
- British Philosophical Association
- Mystical and spiritual experiences
- Scientific study of spirituality
- Constructivism vs. Universalism and Critical Realism
- Natural Law Theory in AxiologyThe mind-body relationship
- Philosophical and scientific implications of mystical and spiritual experiences
- Systemic ways of modelling worldview structure, construction and change
- Systematic Semantics for interdisciplinary discourse
- The unity of knowledge
- The ontological foundations of moral, aesthetic and spiritual intuitions
- Rousseau, D. (2013). Systems Philosophy and the Unity of Knowledge. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, (forthcoming). doi:10.1002/sres.218
- Rousseau, D. & Rousseau, J. (2012). Is there "Ultimate Stuff" and are there "Ultimate Reasons"? The Foundational Questions Institute’s 2012 Essay Competition: Questioning the Foundations. [finalist]. Available at http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1539
- Rousseau, D. (2012). The Implications of Near-Death Experiences for Research into the Survival of Consciousness, Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 43-80.
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Minds, Souls and Nature: A Systems-Philosophical Analysis of the Mind-Body Relationship in the Light of Near-Death Experiences . (PhD Thesis, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, School of Theology, Religious Studies and Islamic Studies).
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Near-Death Experiences and the Mind-Body Relationship: A Systems-Theoretical Perspective, Journal of Near-Death Studies, 29, pp. 399-435.
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Understanding Spiritual Awareness in Terms of Anomalous Information Access, The Open Information Science Journal - Special Issue: Information and Spirituality, 3, pp. 40-53.
- Rousseau, D. (2012). Review of Stanley Krippner and Harris L Friedman (Eds)’s “Mysterious Minds: The Neurobiology of Extraordinary People”. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Vol. 76.3, No. 908, pp. 178-179.
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Physicalism, Christianity and the Near-Death Experience: An essay review of Michael Marsh’s "Out-of-Body and Near-Death Experiences: Brain-state Phenomena or Glimpses of Immortality?". Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Vol. 75.4, No. 905, pp. 225-234.
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Review of Gregory Shushan’s “Conceptions of the Afterlife in Early Civilizations: Universalism, Constructivism, and Near-Death Experience”.Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, 75.2, No. 903, pp. 122-125.
- Rousseau, D. (2011). Review of Penny Sartori’s “The Near-death Experiences of Hospitalized Intensive Care Patients: A Five-year Clinical Study”. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, 75.1 No. 902, pp. 47-49.
Conference Papers and Invited Addresses
- Philosophical Conditions for Sustainable Outcomes to Complex Systemic Interventions. Published in Proceedings of the 57th Annual Meeting of the ISSS - 2013 Hai Phong, Vietnam. To be presented at the International Society for the Systems Sciences’ conference on “Curating the Conditions for a Thrivable Planet: Systemic Leverage Points for Emerging a Global Eco-Civilization”. Hai Phong City, Viet Nam, 14-19 July 2013.
- The Dimensions of Spirituality. Invited address to the Society for the Study of Normal Psychology. Colet House, London, 5 June 2013
- Minds, Souls and Nature: a systems-philosophical perspective. Invited address to the conference of the Scientific and Medical Network on “Connecting Mind, Spirit and Nature”. Frenchman’s Cove, Jamaica, 19-23 February 2013.
- Could Spiritual Intuitions Map a Scientifically Plausible Ontology? Presented to the joint conference of the Scientific and Medical Network and the Society for Scientific Exploration, on “Mapping Time, Mind and Space”. An Grianan Adult Education College, Termonfechin, Drogheda, Ireland, 18-21 October 2012.
- A Philosophical Framework for Exploration Science. Invited address to Study Day on "Making Sense of Psi", Society for Psychical Research, London, 28 April 2012.
- Beyond Dualism: insights and predictions from a new mind-body model. Invited address to Study Day on "Ordered Minds with Disordered Brains: From Evidence to Insight", Society for Psychical Research, London, 27 Nov 2010,.
- If minds are not just brains, what might they be? Invited Address: Gwen Tate Memorial Lecture, London, 7 October 2010.
- The Mind-Body System: Integration as a Factor in Psychic Ability and Spiritual Experience. Presented at the 13th Annual Conference of the Transpersonal Psychology Section of the British Psychological Society, Scarborough, UK,18-21 Sept 2009.
- Evidence is not Enough. Conference paper resented at the 33rd International Conference of the Society for Psychical Research, University of Nottingham, 4-6 Sept 2009.