A Unique Academy
How is the Academy of Sinology in Lampeter so Unique?
Teaching Delivery (教學方法):
The Academy uses an immersive teaching methodology (itself familiar to the ancient sages) by delivering the programme sequentially, one module at a time. This approach allows the students to focus their learning upon one subject until they are fully absorbed into the deep understanding and meaning of the Chinese texts and are able to translate their learning into deep understanding and insight by the end of each module.
There are six modules in each MA programme. Each module will be delivered in eight consecutive weeks with combination of lectures, small group seminars, self-study, presentation practice and essay writing.
There is great emphasis placed on the presentation to ensure that the students are able to effectively communicate the ideals and knowledge learnt.
Teaching Material (教學材料):
The Academy believes in the centrality of teaching and learning directly from the ancient Chinese written texts themselves. Students are thus fully immersed into the ancient texts which is the essential part to the learning process. Each module is guided by and aligned with selections from the writings of the ancient Chinese sages.
Teaching Schedule (教學時間):
MA programme will span 72 weeks running consecutively, except for the public holidays, in order to provide students with enough time, focus and concentration, to intensively learn the ancient texts study and to complete study assessments and practice presentations. There will be no summer break in the course schedule however New Year will be given two weeks of holiday.
Teaching Culture (教學文化):
The Academy of Sinology places great emphasis upon the formal presentation and communication of the ideas, concepts and teachings of the ancient Chinese sages to the rest of the seminar group.
Students will work closely and collaboratively with programme directors and teaching staff to encourage student participation and peer learning, thus operating in a supportive and inclusive learning environment unique to the Academy, a pedagogy we refer as the “Family Culture of Sinology”.
Such a learning culture allows the teachers and the students to work and learn together just like a big family of sinologists. In this way the Academy of Sinology is a close and supportive environment brought together to jointly learn and study the great texts and ideas of traditional Chinese culture.
Special Features of these degree programmes:
- Your study could be supported through a generous scholarship (link to Scholarships).
- Explore the three facets of the ancient Chinese world: Confucianism, Buddhism and Daoism which represent the three integrated parts of Chinese ancient tradition. Therefore, some common modules, especially modules which focus on classical Chinese language and essential values and cultural and political principles will be shared by the 4 different MA programmes.
- Study with scholars and textual experts in ancient Chinese religion, language and ideas from around the world.
- Study through a direct and close engagement with ancient Chinese texts, ideas and works covering areas of Confucianism, Buddhism and Daoism.
- Become one of the first students enrolled on this unique set of postgraduate programmes.
- The courses are aimed not only at learning the language, religion and culture of ancient China but at beginning the training for Sage teachers who through example will have a real impact on society via their own daily moral practices and teaching activities.
- Study using the unique pedagogic approach derived from the ‘Royal Great Learning’ (皇家太学) educational model, which relies upon intensive textual study and reflection.
- Focus your study upon detailed textual study of the Complete Library of the Four Branches of Literature.