Admissions and Scholarships
Applications for postgraduate study can be made by clicking on the Apply now links. Please complete the form in English after clicking the link below.
- MA Sinology | APPLY NOW
- MA Confucian Classical Studies | APPLY NOW
- MA Chinese Buddhist Textual Studies | APPLY NOW
- MA Chinese Daoist Textual Studies | APPLY NOW
- The Academy is now receiving applications for enrolment onto its Masters programmes of Study. The four main programmes will begin in September 2017 and these include:
MA in Sinology
MA Confucian Classical Studies
MA Chinese Buddhist Textual Studies
MA Chinese Daoist Textual Studies
- An applicant can be considered eligible to register on a Degree programme provided he/she holds one of the following qualifications prior to commencement:
(a) an initial degree from an approved degree awarding body;
(b) a non-graduate qualification which has been deemed to be of an appropriate standard for the purpose of undergraduate and postgraduate admission;
(c) meets the specific entry requirements of the programme (see 4, 5,6,7).
- All International applicants will need to meet the requisite language requirements (see the relevant sections on the website for more details). For UKVI an academic IELTS English Language score of 6.0 overall is required, with no less than 5.5 in all four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking). Please note that the University will only accept IELTS certificates from a UKVI-approved test centre. For a list of approved centres, click here.
- Previous study in the medium of English is acceptable if you have already been awarded an academic qualification equivalent to a UK BA Degree or above which was taught in what UKVI describes as a "majority English speaking country". However, if the qualification you have obtained is from a majority English speaking country (equivalent to a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in the UK) you must now include an original document from UK NARIC which assesses the equivalency of the qualification to a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in the UK. For more details about NARIC please click here.
- Applicants cannot be allowed to register on a Degree programme without satisfying the Programme Director that he/she is of the required academic standard to complete the proposed Programme of Study.
- Applicants with a clear understanding and appreciation of the vision of the Academy of Sinology.
- All applicants will need to have ability of reading, writing and comprehending contemporary Chinese as well as in classical Chinese. (these will be tested at interview). A biography of no more than 800 characters written in classic Chinese should be submitted together with the signed application form.
- All applicants will need to provide, where applicable, Academic records of previous courses of study.
- All applicants will need to submit two recommendation letters (at least one of which should be an academic recommendation letter), written in both English and Chinese.
- All applicants will need to complete the application form (APPLY NOW). This can be returned to the relevant address as indicated. Please submit the online application form in English. The Deadline for receipt of Application forms is 30 March 2018.
- ALL APPLICATION FORMS ARE SUBMITTED TO email@example.com
- All International student applicants are advised to visit the University International web pages for further details.
- Following submission of the application form and relevant supporting information, the Academy will select a number of applicants for Interview (this may be in person or via skype). Details concerning further guidance and arrangements for the interview will be provided in advance of the interview.
- Sinology is a career and vocation. For further details and preliminary conversation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications should be accompanied by the following documents (please note that all the specified documents that are not in English or Welsh must include a certified English translation that can be independently verified by UKVI). These should be in English and where necessary an independent translating service used. Documents should be electronically submitted through the email@example.com email address on or before 30 March 2018.
- A completed application form signed by the applicant both in Chinese and English.
- A certified copy of your University degree certificate or proof of accredited examination of knowledge equivalent to University degree in English. If possible an academic transcript of undergraduate courses taken.
- A valid IELTS certificate from a UKVI-approved test centre confirming the minimum score of 6.0 overall with a no less than 5.5 in all four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking) or its equivalent or proof of permanent residency / citizenship of English speaking countries.
- A certified copy of personal identification (ID and Passport).
- Appropriate documentation affirming financial position and requirements.
- Two recommendation letters including one from your university or from accomplished sinologists, to be submitted in both English and Chinese. These two letters must be truthfully issued by the recommenders and can be verified by the University.
In addition to these official documents further evidence is required as proof of academic proficiency. These will form an element in selection during the interview stage of application. You can provide these documents on receiving an invitation to interview if successful.
- A biographical essay of no more than 800 characters written in classic Chinese to illustrate one’s knowledge and skills of classic Chinese. (this is to be submitted together with the signed application form)
- A list of classic Chinese texts that the applicant has read, recited (2018年英國漢學院招生簡章), and understood the related meaning; or a list of books or publication to prove the proficiency of classic Chinese.
- Ability to read, comprehend and explain the meaning of at least two of the ancient Chinese texts selected from the Fundamental Education of Ancient Sages (see list below as to selected Chinese texts).
- A basic knowledge and skills in etymology, phonology and exegesis of classic Chinese. (this will be tested at interview). For more information please click on the link: 2018年英國漢學院招生簡章
- Ability to read and write essays in classic Chinese. This will be assessed at interview;
List of Selected Classical Chinese Texts
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 1
小兒語 Words Given to Children
續小兒語 Sequel of Words Given to Children
弟子規 Di Zi Gui Standards for Being a Good Person
三字經 A Primer in Three-Character Lines
百家姓 One Hundred Family Surnames
千字文《Qian Zi Wen》One Thousand-Character Classic
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 2
四字鑑略 History Reading of the Four-word Proverbs
龍文鞭影 The Longwen Bianying (Stories for Children’s Enlightenment and Cultivation)
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 3
增廣賢文 The Popular Collection of Wise Sayings
笠翁對韻 Weng on the rhyme
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 4
幼學瓊林 The young school took
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 5
孝經 Classic of Filial Piety
百孝詩 Psalter of hundred Xiao(filial piety)
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 6
太上感應篇 Treatise On Response And Retribution
文昌帝君陰騭文 Lord Superior Wen Chang Tract of the Quiet Way
中藥藥性歌訣等 Traditional Chinese Medicine Property Formula in verse
中藥十八反歌訣 Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) 18 rhyme formulas
中藥十九畏歌訣Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) 19 fear rhyme formulas
The Roots of Initiation Education Volume 7
The Ananda Requests the Buddha’s Insight into the Woe and Weal of the Faithful Sutra
雍正皇帝上諭The Imperial Edict of Emperor Yong Zheng
佛說十善業道經 The Discourse On The Ten Wholesome Ways Of Action
省庵大師不淨觀頌 A-subha-smrti Ode of Master Seian
省庵大師四念處頌 Four Foundations of Mindfulness Ode of Master Seian
- All applications submitted will be reviewed in line with stated requirements for entry to postgraduate study within the Academy of Sinology. This pre-screening stage will confirm accuracy and all the essential criteria have been met.
- Those progressing on from the prescreening process will be called for interview via email.
- Further details of the interview itself will be given to the applicant once through the pre-screening process.
- The interview may be conducted at Lampeter campus of UWTSD, a selected location of China, or through Skype/teleconferencing arrangements.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome by University Registry Admissions. Those who are accepted by the Academy, will receive notice together with further visa and enrolment related information.
- Admission for MA programme enrolments in 2017 will have a ceiling of 40 students per academic year.
- The cost of Tuition, for both domestic and international students, can be found at http://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduate-fees/
- International students may be eligible for grants and scholarships, details of which can be found at: http://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/international/applications-and-admissions/fees/scholarships-and-bursaries/
- In addition, for particular students of exceptional academic performance and achievement and with a firm commitment to further mission, vocational, community and welfare, and educational work, the Foundation will consider offering scholarship to those who have studied at the Academy of Sinology and pass the Foundation’s assessment for scholarship.