Andrew Alexander Campbell
Mr Andrew Campbell MHCIMA; M.Ed.; FTS
Head of School: Tourism and Hospitality
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 481146
Responsible for maintaining an overview of academic provision within the Tourism & Hospitality portfolio and working with all members of the team to meet both student and industry needs. In addition I am involved in developing links with all TSD institutions; responsible for exploring new programme opportunities – and have a broad departmental marketing remit.
Time is also spent strengthening relationships with key organisations within the leisure, tourism, events and sport sectors. External engagement is core to my remit. I also teach across all years of the LETS programmes.
Started work within further and higher education during the Thatcher years and have held posts within three academic institutions…… teaching, managing academic programmes – and carrying out much training and consultancy work both within the UK and overseas. Originally from a hotel management background, my teaching specialisms include marketing, hospitality and tourism management, sustainable tourism and transport management.
I have sat as an external validator for many undergraduate and post graduate programmes at other UK universities and educational institutions overseas. Currently External Examiner at the University of the Highlands and Islands, Scotland, but have carried out similar responsibilities at three other UK universities – and have moderated programmes at institutions in Africa and Singapore.
- Fellow Tourism Society
- Member Tourism Swansea Bay – and Pembrokeshire Tourism
- Institute of Hospitality
- Sustainable Tourism
- Transport Management
- Hospitality Management
- Tourism Resource Management.
- UG and PG dissertation supervision.
- Sustainable Tourism (“Sustainable Tourism: Reflections and Reality. An Industry Perspective. Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur, India).
- Rural Tourism. ( “Community Tourism Development”. Cyprus Tourism Organisation, Nicosia, Cyprus).
- Rural Tourism. (“ Rural Tourism in Wales”. Wales Rural Farm Conference, Llangollen).
- Tourism Management. ( “Tourism in Wales”. Twin Cities Tourism Association, Minneapolis, USA).
- Member of Wales 2002 Tourism Research Conference Organising Committee (Cardiff).
- Have presented short papers at International Boat Show (Excel Centre, London) on “Foundation Degrees and Outdoor Education); Maritime Heritage Conference, Swansea – “Future of Maritime Tourism in Wales”).
- Journal referee – Tourism Management.
Experienced academic and industry practitioner (tourism management and marketing). At SMU I have been Programme Director for both BA and HND programmes (LETS) on many occasions since 1995, having previously been responsible for developing the departmental work placement programme.
As a former Head of School and School Coordinator, I have experience in managing academic provision and delivery. Before taking up my appointment in Swansea I was Programme Director at University College, Birmingham (Formerly BCFTHS) and was responsible for introducing one of the UK’s first undergraduate programmes in Tourism Management.
Prior to that I was Programme Leader at Coleg Ceredigion, responsible for all leisure and hospitality programmes. My teaching expertise lies within tourism marketing; sustainable tourism; transport management and hospitality management.
Academic experience has been enhanced through involvement with many industry (tourism) based training and consultancy projects (see below). I continue to remain engaged with industry initiatives and retain considerable enthusiasm in developing tourism within south and west Wales.
Extensive marketing and training consultancies for over 20 years, working with national and regional agencies. Have worked with VisitWales on “Wise Wales” initiative; responsible for developing national training strategy for TIC employees – and also for Section 4 grant funding training programme; Community Trainer for Welcome Host; WTB Farmhouse tourism initiative.
For 14 years was heavily involved in developing “Greening Your Business” training programmes and conducting marketing consultancy audits/delivering marketing training - and additional community led tourism projects for PLANED (Pembrokeshire tourism businesses). Was responsible for developing and delivering national rural tourism training strategy for Poland (TDI); have carried out tourism environmental training for Swansea City Council; have carried out marketing audits with PBI.
In 2000 I was an advisor to the National Assembly for Wales on tourism training.
For four years (2003-07) I worked as a KTP Academic Consultant for a leading tourism attraction in Wales.
Customer service training remains a key interest and I am currently an accredited trainer for World Host.
- South Wales Business Review articles – Wales Coast Path (2012); Hay Festival (2013); Sustainable Tourism (2013).
- Interviewed for articles in: Western Mail (Hay Festival 2012); Financial Times(Conference Tourism 2009). Various tourism related topics published within South Wales Evening Post.
- From 2002 – 2005, I was a member of the Rail Passenger Committee for Wales representing tourism and transport interests for SW Wales; was formerly a member of the Swansea Transport Forum.
- Advisor: Tourism Inquiry Panel – Swansea City Council (2012).
- Expert Witness (Tourism) 2004 – Gower Peninsular / O2.
- Various media contributions with BBC Breakfast News; ITV (HTV) News; BBC Radio Wales.
- Visiting Lecturer at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.
- Youth Hostel (YHA) Inspector (2011-13); Book Reviewer for Tourism Society.
- Volunteer Venue Manager/ Steward at Hay Festival.
- Voted “Lecturer of the Year “ (2012) by students from Faculty of Business and Management.