Ian Simmons Professional Certificate of Education, HND, OND
Lecturer (Part Time)
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 651958
- Delivering entrepreneurship
- Business planning
- Marketing and self promotion modules across the Schools of Art & Design and Digital Media.
Throughout my career I have toured Europe extensively with many bands/artist(e)s, worked as a session musician in numerous studio’s throughout the UK and performed regularly on radio and television. I have also worked extensively as a songwriter and have songs published to Warner Chappell and EMI. I have performed regularly at the Brecon Jazz Festival, Cork Jazz & Blues Festival and represented Wales at the Vienne International Jazz Festival in the South of France.
My work with Warner Chappell and EMI was mainly in the pop idiom, but recently I have collaborated with two other songwriters on a progressive rock/world music project ‘Chasing the Monsoon’ – it is a work in progress but has already achieved some critical acclaim with several of the tracks already included on compilation albums with international release - for more information go to http://www.chasingthemonsoon.com/
Have many commercial releases in the pop, rock, blues and jazz genres.
My career portfolio has been varied; I am also a freelance illustrator and concept artist – providing illustrations for magazine, book, video and DVD publishers – illustration and graphic design for editorial and advertising – concept art for web and film – plus caricature and cartoon work for various print and virtual media companies.
- Part Time Lecturer, Faculty of Applied Design and Engineering.
- Part Time Lecturer, School of Art & Design.
- Lecturer in Photoshop and Graphic Design at Neath Port Talbot College.
- Academic Champion of Entrepreneurship.
- Dynamo Role Model, Welsh Assembly Government.
- Artistic Editor/Illustrator/Designer/Publisher – Swansea City FC Fanzine.
- Musical Agent – booking musicians/entertainers for private and corporate events.
- Songwriter/Session Musician/Producer at Warner Chappel Ltd and EMI Ltd.
- Concert Promoter – Blue Bar Promotions.
- Freelance Illustrator/Designer – Clients including; Ministry of Defence, NHS, BBC, Welsh Coal Board and worldwide publishing/advertising companies.
- Touring musician (worldwide) live performance and numerous TV/Radio appearances in the UK and Europe.
As well as my duties as a lecturer, I am still active in the industries relevant to the modules I teach. As well as expertise in the creative industries I have also set up and run many businesses, something that I continue to do alongside my role at UWTSD. I would not feel comfortable delivering content to my students if I didn’t ‘practice what I preached’.
I have set up several concert promotion companies – most notably the Blue Bar jazz venue at Craig-y-Nos Castle, Abercrave – booking and promoting international jazz acts such as Gilad Atzmon & the Orient House Ensemble, Dave O’Higgins, Sax Appeal featuring Derek Nash, Steve Waterman Big Band, Mike Bradley, Russell Van Der Berg, Nigel Hitchcock, Laurence Cottle, Ivan Paduart, Karen Sharp, Simon Allen and Martin Shaw amongst others.
I have been a freelance illustrator/designer for 25 years and also edit/publish a successful Swansea City fanzine, combined with an associated entertainment agency, which raises money for local and national charities.
I also freelance for the Welsh Assembly Government as a Dynamo Role Model, giving talks and facilitating business start ups in secondary and higher education. I have also had a role within UWTSD as an Academic Champion of Entrepreneurship, helping and advising students on business start ups; this is a role that I continue with, although it is no longer a formal position, to this day; through my personal networks I bring in many industry professionals to present to my students.