Ms Nalda Wainwright BA, MA, PhD (c)
Senior Lecturer – Programme Director - MA Physical Education
Tel: +44 (0) 1267 676730
- Deliver on the BA Physical Education and BA Outdoor Education Programmes.
- Programme director for the MA Physical Education and MA Physical Education with Secondary QTS.
- Course co-director Masters in Physical Education International Summer Institute.
My early career was as a primary school teacher, physical education co-ordinator and associate advisor in Primary Physical Education. I moved on to the role of teacher in charge of a special unit working with pupils with complex learning needs, with particular interest in supporting pupils with co-ordination disorders and specific learning difficulties.
I have worked at National level on working groups, as a National Trainer and Consultant on the development of professional development for teachers and the writing of resources in many aspects of Physical Education. I have written, validated and currently run a masters programme in Physical Education which attracts students from all over the world and has students on exchange programmes in the USA. I am director of the Wales Institute for Physical Literacy and co-director of the MA Physical Education International Summer Institute.
- Chairperson of BAALPE (Wales 2005-2006).
- Chairperson afPE Wales (2006-2008)
- Member of Skills mapping working party for PESS Foundation Phase project.
- Member of HEI working group for PESS project.
- Invited member for the inaugural meeting and first workshop of the International Physical Literacy Association
- Member of the Sport Wales Physical Literacy Expert group
- Member of BERA
- Fellow of the HEA
Module co-ordinator for:
- Inclusion in Physical Education and Sport
- Health in Education
- Desks to Dens
- Curriculum Adventure
- Leading and Managing Curriculum change in Physical Education.
- International Exchange in Sport Health and Outdoor Education
- Research Methods in Masters Physical Education and Outdoor Education
- Physical Education Masters Internship
- Physical Education Masters Dissertation
- The implementation of the Foundation Phase Curriculum in Wales and its impact on children’s Physical Literacy.
- The impact of curriculum change in Wales on physical literacy.
- Impacts of Physicality on children’s development and learning.
- Impact of the outdoors as a learning environment.
- Teachers’ perceptions of professional development in physical and outdoor and its impact on their practice.
- Secondary pupils’ disaffection in Physical Education.
Having spent the majority of my teaching time in area of social deprivation, I have developed a keen interest in ensuring that pupils can reach their full potential and the importance of closing the gap in education achievement. I specialised in supporting pupils with complex learning needs and have worked extensively with pupils with issues relating to co-ordination disorders and developmental delays.
I have specialised in supporting teachers to teach inclusive high quality Physical Education through advisory work, and CPD as part of the PESS project and also through partnerships with the university. I have done research into the impact of curriculum changes in Wales on children’s physical literacy and as a result of work in this field the Wales Institute for Physical Literacy has been established at UWTSD. I am particularly interested in the importance of high quality early movement experiences for children and the impact these can have holistically both in terms of physical development, and also cognitive development. I currently lead the Masters programme for Physical Education and co-direct the MA International Summer Institute.
- Lead Consultant for Physical Education and School Sport (PESS) Inclusion Project
- Author of the PESS Inclusion CPD module
- National Trainer for PESS HRE project
- National Trainer for PESS Competitive activities.
- National Tutor for PESS gymnastics project.
- National Tutor for PESS Primary Dance Project
- National Tutor for the PESS Foundation Phase Physical Development Project.
- ‘Class Moves’ Trainer
Wainwright, N. (2013) Physical Literacy in the Foundation Phase in Wales. Journal of Sport Science and PhysicalEducation, ICSSPE Bulletin 65 Special Feature Physical Literacy.
Williams, A. and Wainwright, N. (2012), Changing times for outdoor learning in Wales –
Outdoor Learning Cards, Adventurous Activities and Physical Education Horizons July 2012
Wainwright, N. and Williams, A. (2012) “Miss that’s the best PE lesson we’ve ever had and we couldn’t see for most of it.” Adventurous Activities and Physical Education in Wales. Physical Education Matters, summer, Vol 7 (2), 51 – 54, 2012.
Lavin, J. Wainwright, N. et al. (2011). ‘Children’s Primary Physical Education in the United Kingdom- A post code lottery? In Primary Physical Education Matters vol. 6 no. 1
Wainwright, N. (2006) ‘Accessing Learning through Effective Physical Education’ In Primary Physical Education Matters vol. 1 no. 3.
Professional teaching resources.
PESS Inclusion Resource and support module for supporting children with Visual Impairment in Physical Education (2010).
PESS Inclusion Resource and support module for Teaching Assistants (2010).
PESS Inclusion Resource Pack and CPD core module (2009).
Wainwright, N. (2012) From Desks to Dens, In Griggs G (ed) An Introduction to Primary Physical EducationLondon: Routledge.
Teachers TV ITE Lecture ‘Making PE Inclusive’ 2009
Conference workshops / Presentations
Wainwright, N. (2013) A Study of the interpretation and implementation of the Foundation Phase in Wales. The 2nd International Physical Literacy Conference,
Wainwright, N. (2013) The Foundation Phase as a Pedagogical Model for Physcial Literacy. . Second Outdoor Health, Pedagogy and Lifestyle Research seminar23rd-25th April UWTSD.
Wainwright, N. (2013) The Foundation Phase as a Pedagogical Model for Physcial Literacy. afPE Wales, Botanic Gardens 22nd March.
Williams, A. and Wainwright, N. (2012) The impact of the Outdoor Learning Cards Resource upon Adventurous Activity Provision in Wales. Paper presented at the 13thAnnual Conference of the European Institute for Outdoor and Adventure Education and Experiential Learning (EOE), Derwent Hill, Keswick, Cumbria.26-30 September 2012
Williams, A. and Wainwright, N. (2011) Camping on Concrete: professional development for adventurous activities in Wales.In the proceedings of the AIESEP Conferenece, University of Limerick, 22-25 June.
Wainwright, N. (2011) An Invesitgation into the interpretationa and implementation of the Foundation Phase in Wales. Physical Literacy conference, Unversity of Bedfordshire, Luton .June
Wainwright, N. (2011) An Investigation into the implementation of the Foundation Phase in Wales. Telemark University, Norway. March
Wainwright, N. (2010) Using the Outdoor Learning Cards in Higher Education. Outdoor Advisors National Conference . Leamington Spa, Oct.
Inclusive Physical Education. PESS DC Mangers conference Llandrindod 2009
Inclusive Physical Education PESS National training conference Llndrindod 2008
Inclusive Physical Education PESS Regional Conference (South East Wales) 2008
Accessing learning Through Effective Physical Education PESS regional conferences (North & South West) 2007
Accessing learning Through Effective Physical Education Roehampton Primary PE Conference 2007
Accessing learning Through Effective Physical Education Nottingham Primary PE Conference 2006
Accessing learning Through Effective Physical Education BAALPE National Conference 2005