Mr Phil Ainsworth Med, PGCE, BA (Hons), Diploma de Traductor (Madrid Complutense)
Level 5 Manager - Tourism & Hospitality / Welsh Language Officer / Placement Tutor / Lecturer of Languages
Tel: +44 (0) 01792 481733
- Lecturer in French, Spanish and Intercultural Awareness
- Welsh Language Officer for Swansea campuses
- Year 2 tutor on Leisure Portfolio courses
- Tutor on Placement and Dissertation modules
First and foremost I am a modern linguist, fluent in French, Spanish, Welsh and English, I can also communicate at a basic level in about 6 further languages. I have widespread teaching experience including teaching English as a foreign language, French through the medium of Welsh and Spanish, French and Welsh in both Further and Higher Education institutions. I have a proven specialism in Business language provision having taught in a Business College in Switzerland, delivered language instruction to senior managers in major industries in South Wales and have been a lecturer within Leisure and Business portfolio courses over the last 22 years.
In addition to teaching languages on a number of vocational courses over the last 22 years I have developed an interest in Intercultural Awareness and International Business Communications. Further expertise has been developed within a pastoral role as year tutor, dissertation supervisor and placement tutor.
Over the last 10 years I have been responsible for the University’s Welsh language Scheme and the development of services and instruction through the medium of Welsh. In this capacity I have represented the University and have been instrumental in furthering the Welsh Language agenda across the University’s Swansea campuses.
I have furthermore delivered Welsh as a second language and language pedagogy provision on PGCE Primary and Secondary courses.
Externally I have been in a position to influence the Modern Languages agenda in Wales by dint of the fact that I was a Principal Examiner for A level French with the WJEC as well as being a GCSE examiner for 10 years.
My research interests are centred around language acquisition on vocational courses and lexicography. I am currently co-authoring a bilingual Welsh-French/ French-Welsh Dictionary.
- Member of the Institute of Linguists
- Member of Y Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol
- Member of Tourism Swansea Bay
- Have taught French and Spanish at all levels from beginners to degree level, specialising in the last 22 years in vocational courses.
- Intercultural Awareness Tutor
- International Business Communications Tutor
- Dissertation tutor
- Placement tutor
- Year tutor on different courses within the Leisure and Business Portfolios
- Language pedagogy on PGCE Primary and Secondary courses
- Have delivered most of the above at least partly through the medium of Welsh as well as English
- Language acquisition on vocational courses
- Language planning and the normalisation of Welsh across Higher Education institutions
- Experienced language teacher at secondary, tertiary and Higher Education levels. Within Higher Education I have developed an expertise in vocational language provision mainly on Leisure, Tourism and Business courses.
- Further experience in language pedagogy and intercultural issues that affect the Tourism and Business industries.
- Expertise as a senior examiner with the WJEC and OCR (Oxford/Cambridge) boards, with extensive expertise in Welsh medium as well as English medium examining.
- Assessor for HEFC(W) Modern Language Departments in Universities
- One of consultants in Community Tourism projects in North Wales
- Provided language tuition for local industry
- Senior Examiner for WJEC
Currently co-authoring a bilingual French-Welsh/Welsh-French dictionary to be published in 2014