Siân Brooks BA (Hons), PGCE. MA, FHEA
Lecturer in PGCE Secondary MFL
Tel: 01792 482028
- To provide full time support to PGCE MFL students
- To deliver key aspects of MFL and general pedagogy in order to build student understanding
- To carry out formative and summative assessments of PGCE student lessons and assignments
- To work closely with school based mentors in order to ensure quality of provision for students
- To provide support for academic writing and assignment completion
- To carry out academic research in order to enhance student experience
- To contribute to other programmes e.g. GTP and PGCE Primary.
I joined UWTSD in 2014 when I left my post as Curriculum Leader for French in Gower College, Swansea. Since I qualified as a French and Spanish teacher, I have always been passionate about what makes an excellent MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) lesson and it has been one which I have explored throughout my teaching career. My new role in ITE has allowed me to develop this passion even further.
I believe that excellent MFL lessons should provide challenge for all learners. A previous role as SENCO (Special Needs Coordinator) and MAT (More Able and Talented) Coordinator reflected my belief in an inclusive education where all learners are challenged. Another academic interest is teaching grammar and I love finding different ways of promoting independent learning, especially encouraging pupils to find patterns in language. I have especially enjoyed working with the MFL trainees in my new role to examine pupils’ misconceptions in grammar and how they can address these in their lessons.
After studying French and Spanish at university, I have taught both languages to A level and in my teaching career I have been Head of Spanish and Curriculum Leader for French. I constantly work at maintaining and developing my own subject knowledge and I fully embrace the concept of lifelong learning: I speak French and Spanish; I studied German to A level; more recently I have learnt some Swedish and Japanese and I am currently learning Welsh.
- Fellow of HEA
- Member of BERA
- Member of ALL (Association of Language Learning)
- Triple Literacy and the importance of encouraging learners to make lexical and grammatical links between Welsh, English and the MFL
- the use of the target language to motivate and engage learners
- the development of strategies to overcome pupils’ misconceptions in grammar teaching
- the importance of context in language learning
- the role of emerging technologies in the MFL classroom.
I am currently working on my PhD on multilingual literacy and pedagogy. I completed one year of an MPhil /PhD researching the role of technology in MFL teaching. More recently I completed an MA in Translation with Language Technology. In my new role I am hoping to continue with my research on the impact and use of technology in MFL teaching and in particular the use of learning analytics as a means of formative assessment.
I have been Head of Spanish, SENCO and Curriculum Leader of French in my teaching career. I speak French and Spanish and I am currently learning Welsh.