Financial Support

Pound shot ISBSB 2015

Financial support for eligible students includes University bursaries and scholarships, the UWTSD Hardship Fund (for students experiencing financial hardship) and the HEFCW part-time undergraduate fee waiver scheme (for part-time undergraduate students in receipt of certain DWP benefits.

The University also manages the Money Doctors service which  provides students with impartial advice on handling student debt, and offers all students money management guidance.

Bursaries & Scholarships

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David offers a wide range of bursaries and scholarships which provide extra financial support for students. These awards include departmental scholarships, support for students from low-income backgrounds, residential bursaries, Welsh-medium / bilingual scholarships, support for care leavers, support with childcare costs,   internships, educational bursaries and awards for part-time students, postgraduate students, disabled students and international students. All bursaries and scholarships are awarded subject to making a successful application through Student Services.

Read more

This is an additional source of financial support for any student who has taken out a Student Loan (if eligible) and is suffering financial hardship. An applicant also has to prove that she/he has exhausted all other funding sources, including their overdraft provision before an application can be considered.

Financial support is available to any UK student studying at least 50% of a full-time course. A student can apply for funding at any time during the course, and can re-apply if in financial difficulties. Usually, funds are not repayable. (EU and International students should refer to the scholarships page for information about equivalent support).

Funds are administered by the UWTSD Hardship Fund committee representing the Finance Department, Student Services and the Students' Union. This Committee meets every two weeks during term-time. Although formal meetings are not held during the vacation periods, applications will be considered according to staff availability. 

Further information

Carmarthen campus
Delyth Lewis
Tel: 01267 676947

Lampeter campus
Lynda Lloyd-Davies
Tel: 01570 424722

Swansea campus
Sharon Alexander
Tel: 01792 481123

UWTSD Hardship Fund Application Form

UWTSD Hardship Fund Application Form (PDF, 415 kb - 10.09.2015)

UWTSD Hardship Fund Guidance Notes (PDF, 161 kb - 10.09.2015)

From September 2014, part time students in higher education will be able to have their fees waived if they meet certain conditions.  HEFCW will retain the fee waiver scheme for continuing eligible students, regardless of intensity of study and also new eligible students studying below 25% FTE (fewer than 30 credits).  The course has to be a Bachelor’s degree, a Certificate of Higher Education, a Diploma in Higher Education or another undergraduate credit-bearing higher education course funded by HEFCW – the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales.

In 2014/15, for continuing students, fees may be waived to the full cost of the course, or a maximum of £1200 per student, whichever is the lower amount.  For new students studying at 25% intensity fees may be waived to the full cost of the course, or a maximum of £875 per student, whichever is the lower amount.

Your family is in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Council Tax benefit
  • Your sole ‘family’ income is Department for Work and Pensions benefits
  • Your ‘family’ is in receipt of Working Tax Credit. You should note that, from April 2003, Working Families Tax Credit was replaced by Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.  Only those students in receipt of Working Tax Credit are eligible for a fee waiver.  There are no restrictions on this eligibility.  Those in receipt of Child Tax Credit are not eligible for a fee waiver

The student is in receipt of one of the following:

  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance

Please note that the definition of ‘family’ is as follows:-

  • Mature single student, or
  • Married or unmarried couple, or
  • A couple in a civil partnership, or 
  • Married or unmarried couple, or couple in a civil partnership with dependent children, or
  • Lone parent with dependent children

Students must be Welsh domiciled to qualify for the fee waiver

NB Please note that HEFCW have set the maximum level of funding that can be claimed for any continuing student in any academic year at a maximum of £1200

Application Form

Further Information

Meriel Davies (Carmarthen and Lampeter Campuses)
Tel: 01267 676659

Sally Morris (Swansea Campus)
Tel: 01792 481182

The University operates a Money Doctors service for students.

This service aims to provide students with impartial advice on handling student debt and offers all students money management guidance. The Money Doctors are especially interested in speaking to new students making personal financial decisions for the first time. 

The Money Doctors will be available each week during term time, and are able to provide information regarding grants, student loans and other financial help that you may be eligible to apply for. Arrangements can also be made to meet with students who require personal assistance in monthly budgeting. We can also negotiate with banks and credit card companies on your behalf, and decipher jargon with which you may be unfamiliar!


Carmarthen Campus
Tel: 01267 676830

Lampeter Campus
Tel: 01570 424722

Swansea Campus
Tel: 01792 481123