Communication Studies (BA)
The ability to communicate effectively will be one of the key skills of the 21st Century.
The BA Communication Studies programme at UWTSD Carmarthen is a practical and vocational course in which you will learn how to communicate across a range media, drawing together media production, writing and publishing.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information
Why choose this course
- A vocationally focussed degree
- Be part of a vibrant interdisciplinary creative community
- Strong links with industry
- Individual project work across a range of different media
- Small class sizes
What you will learn
You will be part of a vibrant interdisciplinary creative community and will also have the opportunity to engage with the media centre Canolfan S4C Yr Egin, which is located on our Carmarthen campus.
You will be guided by expert staff with knowledge of film production, applied and creative writing, and the publishing industry. Entrepreneurial skills are embedded into the programme, preparing you to work confidently in the communications landscape of today and tomorrow.
There are opportunities for work placements, and to produce work for external clients, enabling you to begin building a network of industry contacts.
Teaching will through practical workshops and small group seminars.
- Aspects of Contemporary Print Publishing
- Core Production Skills
- Film Analysis
- Introduction to Media and Communication: theory and Practice
- Introduction to Radio Writing
- The Language(s) of Persuasion
- Understanding Film Technique
- Approaches to Creative Sources
- Individual Film Production
- Introduction to the Publisher’s World
- Live Project
- Online/digital writing
- Professional Development
- The Student Journal
- Advanced Film Analysis
- Entrepreneurship and Filmmaking
- Major Project 1
- Major Project 2
- Multiplatform Content
- The Publisher’s World: sales, marketing and the law
- The Publishing Project
Practical coursework and presentations.
Creative Carmarthen, Yr Egin
and Faculty of Humanities and Performing Arts
Grades are important, however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
- Marketing and public relations
- Web design
Students may spend up to £300 additional materials.
- BA Digital media (pending validation)
- BA Filmmaking
- BA Journalism (pending validation)
Visit our Carmarthen Accommodation section to find out more.