91% of UWTSD’s Performing Arts students agreed that they have been able to contact staff when they needed to – NSS 2017.
BA Dance is a practice-based programme designed to prepare students for a career in the dance/performance industry. The course enables the development of technical, choreographic and performance skills while preparing students for employment opportunities within the sector.
Why choose UWTSD?
• Collaborate and work with fully trained, professional dancers across a range of styles
• Participate in productions to boost your portfolio of work
• Work in a challenging yet supportive learning environment that celebrates student success and encourages them to achieve
excellence in their chosen area of dance
• Develop an understanding of the body's link between fitness, diet, and well-being
• Work in collaboration with the sports department to optimise training and performance, through bespoke training plans
and nutritional advice.
UCAS Code: W502
Institution Code: T80
Tuition Fees for 2018/19:
£9000 (Home/EU students)
£11000 (Overseas students)
Scholarships and Bursaries
Faculty of Humanities and Performing Arts
Since enrolling on the BA Dance course, my life and its direction has changed completely in nothing but positive ways. The course has enabled me to realise dreams, break boundaries, and reach goals I thought were inconceivable. Being exposed to unique techniques, experiencing dance events, and exploring the science behind what makes a fit and healthy dancer is a mere taster of what the course has to offer. Get involved!Since enrolling on the BA Dance course, my life and its direction has changed completely in nothing but positive ways. The course has enabled me to realise dreams, break boundaries, and reach goals I thought were inconceivable. Being exposed to unique techniques, experiencing dance events, and exploring the science behind what makes a fit and healthy dancer are a mere taster of what the course has to offer. Get involved!
The first year of the BA Dance programme concentrates on the development of technique in a number of dance styles, cultivating expertise as a collaborator and choreographer, while learning about the significance of dance in promoting health and well-being. These practical areas of study are underpinned by relevant theory and conceptual approaches.
The second year explores acquired skills and knowledge in a variety of contexts to include performance and community practice.
The final year provides flexibility for specialist study alongside performance, including public productions.
Throughout the course students are encouraged to forge links with the dance and health industries to assist in the progression from study to employment.
Typical modules include:
- Contemporary Techniques
- Preparation for the Dance Industry
- Dance Technique in Performance
- Leadership in Dance
- Dance Health and Well-being
- Dance in Context
- Exploring Dance Styles
- Introduction to Choreography
- Dance and other Art Forms
- Applied Health and Well-being
- Repertoire in Context
- Physical Theatre
- Choreography and Creative Practice
- Interdisciplinary Dance
- Major Production
- Independent Project
Reasons to choose this course include:
- Strong links with dance and health professionals and industries
- Study abroad available in the USA
- Access to Health and Fitness suites
- Work placement opportunities
- Performance opportunities in a range of venues and on tour
- Rigorous training, practical study, a supportive atmosphere and personal attention
You will be invited to visit the University to audition.
Entry is based on individual merit.
Career and employment opportunities:
- Community Dance Worker
- Dance Teacher
- Fitness Instruction/Health Promotion Adviser
- Dance/Movement Therapy
- Postgraduate study/research
UK/EU Tuition Fees
Visit our UK/EU Tuition Fees section to find out more.
Overseas Tuition Fees
Visit our Overseas Fees section to find out more.
Bursaries and Scholarships
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Bursaries and Scholarships section.
If you'd like to find out more about BA Dance at UWTSD, you can come along to an Open Day.
At an open Day you will meet the course tutors, have a tour of our facilities and the campus, as well as talk to our Student Services about finance, student support and accomodation.
You can find out more about our Open Days here.