This course offers a unique opportunity to study the key pillars of law alongside the organisational structure of the public sector.
This course offers the opportunity to understand the legal structure governing all aspects of our lives today alongside an understanding of the public services and its organisational management.
The course allows for the development of leadership and management and understanding of corporate responsibility and strategic planning in the public sector.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Apply Now Request Information
Why choose this course
- This course is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in the legal justice system or those interested in working in the public sector, for example, the Police force.
- The course has developed strong links with local organisations to allow for relevant and professional work experience. Giving our graduates the best possible springboard from the academic to the working world. Some of the volunteer work opportunities that have been developed will allow for students to play an integral part of a professional working environment and will give a clear and in-depth insight into the profession.
- The course team operates an open door policy allowing for a friendly and open environment for students to learn and develop. There is a learning support team who run regular workshops and tutorials in basic and advanced skill development. The excellent levels of student care are reflected in the NSS results of the course and students feel valued and supported throughout their university career.
What you will learn
The combination of both Law and Public Services allows for a greater depth of knowledge and the workings of Public Sector organisations which would prove invaluable for those seeking a fast track career into professions such as the police force.
The course will cover Public Sector environment, accountability management of resources and strategic management. It will allow for a greater understanding of how the public sector is managed. Public services and the third sector are the largest employers within Britain, which results in an increasing demand for graduate employment within these areas and this programme is relevant to those who will seek employment within the public service professions such as the police force.
The course is delivered over three years and will cover the fundamental pillars of law, including criminal, contract, EU, Tort, Land and Trusts Law as well as Legal Process. This is not a qualifying law degree although law subjects covered will allow graduates of the course to apply for several Common Professional Examination (CPE) exemptions if they do subsequently choose to pursue a legal career.
UWTSD is also an accredited CILEX centre ( Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) and we have been able to embedded and offer both Level 3 and Level 6 Law and Practice modules in the courses and alongside it, so that students if they wish can study for their degree alongside the professional CILEx exams to work towards becoming a CILEx Lawyer. With changes to the way Legal Services are delivered , CILEX lawyers can now be grade A fee earners and even partners in Law Firms, UWTSD are offering with this combination an alternative route into the legal profession.
Year 1 – Level 4
- Legal Process
- Public Law
- Criminal Law
- Academic Skills
- The Public Sector Environment
- Social Theory and Policy
Year 2 - Level 5
- Contract Law
- Tort Law
- EU Law
- Accountability in the Public Sector
- Contemporary Issues in Public Services or Policing
- Equality, Diversity & Communities
Year 3 -Level 6
- Property Law
- Equity and Trusts
- Research Project
- Strategic Management
- Organisational leadership: Theory into Practice
- Emerging issues in the Public Sector
The course will be assessed by a mixture of written coursework and exams. Each module is worth 20 credits which would equal two assessments per module with the equivalent of a 2000 word assignment or an exam per 10 credits.
Our Facilities, Graduates and Industry Links
Student and Swansea Life
80 UCAS Points.
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
The course team has developed very close links with a number of professional organisations in both the public sector and legal services fields. This has allowed for close consultation on the development of course content and the availability of unique work experience opportunities.
For those students who wish to pursue a career in the Police force then the course works closely with South Wales Police and has developed a volunteer work programme for the students to gain valuable experience and insight into the profession. This will put the students in a more advantageous position to gain employment in their chosen profession. The course provides a good opportunity for students who would be interested in the Fast Track route into the Police.
The course works closely with other Public sector organisations, all of which have legal departments and the combination of both legal and public sector understanding and knowledge would be seen as a benefit to such a position.
The team has developed close relationships with local Law firms and developing work experience opportunities which would benefit the students if they chose to extend into further legal study.
This course has no additional costs.
Visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.
Visit our Swansea Accommodation section to find out more.