MBA Data Science and Business Analytics
In recognition of industry demand, this MBA combines a grounding in core business subjects with a specialisation in data science and business analytics.
This qualification has been designed in response to market demand for graduates with both transferable skills and with the capacity to meet the challenge of shifts in business ecosystems, the advances in artificial intelligence, and big data. While the first part of the course prepares you with a broad knowledge of fields including marketing, human resources and strategic management, you will move on to studying specialist modules that will introduce you to a range of new technologies and concepts.
You will study theory, but also have many chances to apply your own knowledge gained from practical experience. Our students come from diverse backgrounds: this MBA can adapt to your needs and interests whether you have experience of management in large companies or of working in a small business.
PATHWAY OPTIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Once you have decided that you would like to study this programme, you will need to apply by submitting an application directly to the University.
Visit the UWTSD Birmingham's apply section to find out more. You can also apply using the link below.
Institution Code: T80
Tuition Fees 2023/24:
Why choose this course?
- Develop the key leadership and management skills and knowledge you need to progress in your career.
- Work with friendly, experienced, practice-led tutors who will guide you through every step of the process.
- Gain the specialist skills and knowledge to prepare you for work in a data-driven, globalised world.
- Enjoy a personalised learning experience structured and enlivened by a range of educational technologies and techniques.
- Get to grips with data analysis and AI systems.
What you will learn
This course is available to Home and International applicants.
This programme provides students with the opportunity to develop and reflect on high level information management issues. It strengthens the students’ ability to adopt an international perspective in developing their own unique interpretations of all the modules within the programme.
*Please note that due to student cohort sizes, the University may request that you choose an alternative pathway.
This MBA Data Science and Business Analytics programme will equip students with general business management knowledge as well as specialist skills to enable them to excel in their chosen field.
- Financial Management (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Financial Management module, the student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- research, apply and evaluate a variety of financial assessment techniques for application to a case study
- research, evaluate and critically discuss various issues and theoretical frameworks used in the management and control of financial resources.
- Human Capital Management (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Human Capital Management module, the student should be able to:
- critically review and appraise current research and advanced scholarship so to enable them to evaluate managerial and business environments
- demonstrate a systematic understanding of current issues in Human Capital Management within a variety of organisations so to enable them to manage effectively the design and implementation of fair, efficient and effective policies and procedures that serve to deliver upon the strategic aims of the organisation.
- Marketing Management (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Marketing Management module, the student should be able to:
- critically appraise key marketing activities and the contribution of the marketing department to the organisation
- anticipate and critically evaluate future developments in the field of marketing especially through technology.
- Strategic Management (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Strategic Management module, the student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- synthesise the relationship between the external context of an organisation and its internal context and their impact on its strategies
- critically evaluate competitive and development strategies, in the context of contemporary strategic management issues
assess the factors that must be considered in strategy implementation.
- Artificial Intelligence for Business (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Artificial Intelligence for Business module, the student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- develop the necessary expertise and knowledge to contribute to the planning and adoption of applicable AI for organisation
- critically assess the impact of AI systems and tools; its challenges and benefits in terms of adoption across business disciplines. To evaluate current ethical, legal and social debates affecting the implications of AI adoption
- critically analyse the transitional implications for staff and organisations from adopting AI systems.
- Data Analytics for Business Decision-Making (20 credits, compulsory)
- Upon the successful completion of the Data Analytics for Business Decision-Making module, the student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- critically evaluate CRISP-DM and all stages of the Data Mining Life Cycle
- develop visualisation of data using multiple formats for a variety of stakeholders to address business problems
- critically evaluate the different types of data visualisation and data analytics methods and tools to explore, analyse, and present data in a business report.
- Dissertation, OR Integrated Case Study, OR Business Development Proposal (60 credits, compulsory)
Modules are assessed by coursework. This may take various forms, work-based projects, small research projects, presentations, case study analysis and the final research project/dissertation. Students who are not currently in employment may be able to base their projects on case studies.
This programme is available to Home and International applicants.
Normally, the possession of a minimum of a 2:2 UK first degree or an equivalent international qualification recognised by UK ENIC or work experience of five years at a senior managerial level in lieu of first degree.
English language proficiency at or exceeding an average IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent in any other approved test), with no score less than 5.5 in any components of the test.
Normally work experience of two years or more at a managerial or supervisory level is expected.
This MBA is aimed at employment within multinational organizations, but also within the small business sector, where internationalisation of business is increasingly important and multi-skilling is essential.
The course is aimed at students who may aspire to a career in data science and business analytics in the UK or overseas. It leads into opportunities in data, systems and process analysis, as well as creative solutions and planning in real-time. Graduates, in addition to more general management pathways, may work as business analysts, business architects, product managers, systems analysts, data analysts or management consultants.
There will be no mandatory additional costs to study beyond the tuition payment. Students should be prepared to incur the basic costs associated with studying such as transport and any on-campus purchases including printing, coffees, snacks or other sundry items.
Many students also choose to invest in study support tools such as laptops, tablets, and/or software throughout their studies. Any activities related to study or student life which bear a cost beyond tuition will be optional, and the expense shall be clearly communicated to students at the time of registration.
Bursary / Scholarship Information
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available, please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section.