Football Coaching & Performance (BSc)
The BSc in Football Coaching and Performance is a one-year top-up designed for students who have already achieved a Foundation Degree or 240 credits in a related discipline.
It is a practice-based programme to prepare you for a career in the Football and Sports Industry. Uniquely the course is based at UWTSD Carmarthen and delivered by Coleg Sir Gâr so you will be both students of UWTSD and Coleg Sir Gâr
This exciting programme is designed to ensure you experience a current and academically rigorous learning experience that meets the needs of local industry. You will be supported in your studies by a team of highly inspirational academic staff who have extensive experience of working and researching in the fields of football coaching and performance.
The programme has strong links with elite professional teams such as Swansea City FC and semi-professional teams such as Llanelli Town AFC and Carmarthen Town AFC where students have the opportunity to gain industry experience at the highest level.
The degree also benefits from community links built up over many years, placing students in local schools and with National Governing Body (FAW) Development Officers and the Swansea City AFC Foundation which provide an insight into potential employment routes.
Book an Open Day
Book a Taster Day
Request a Call Back
PATHWAY OPTIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Tuition Fees 2021/22:
Home (Full-time): £9,000 per year
Why choose this course?
- Strong practical focus at all levels of the programme.
- Highly experienced and inspirational teaching team who have developed internationally recognised programmes in the field.
- Small class sizes allow for a highly personalised learning experience.
- Free access to all sports facilities to enhance personal and professional development.
- Football Coaching and Performance is studied on the Carmarthen campus which offers a friendly and personal learning experience. All social, recreational and educational facilities are on this campus, though some practical learning experiences may be located throughout Carmarthenshire and West Wales.
- Lecturing staff are also based on the Carmarthen campus and are easily accessible for tutorials to support all aspects of study.
- A very active Student Union provides an extensive array of sport and leisure activities as well as supporting your social needs.
- Opportunities to work with organisations and clients in real-life situations.
- Free access to the health suite, sports hall and swimming pool to support degree interests.
What you will learn
Areas of study include Football Coaching, Football Analysis, Football Performance and Strength and Conditioning. You will also develop transferable interpersonal skills such as advanced research skills, problem solving, autonomous learning and critical thinking skills in preparation for a career in football and sport. The programme also has a work-based learning element so students can gain vital experience in their area of interest.
- Observation & Analysis of Football Performance
- High-Performance Football Coaching
- Strength and Conditioning 3
- Work-Based Learning 3
- Independent Study
Modules are assessed through a combination of assignments, case studies, logbooks and practical skills assessments.
Healthy Carmarthen, Meet the Graduates and Carmarthen Campus
- Lee Tregoning
- Euros Evans
- Stephen Williams
- Jonathan Garcia
- Jonathan Roberts
This is a one year course designed for students who have achieved a Foundation Degree or 240 credits at Higher Education level (120 at Level 4 & 120 at Level 5) in a related discipline.
Potential career pathways may include Football Administrator, Coach/Instructor, Development Officer, Football Analyst, Strength and Conditioning Coach, PE Teacher or College Lecturer. Alternative career pathways may include emergency services, armed services and youth work.
- Sports clothing (£40-£60) depending on course.
Jamie Bessant (SCAFC Premier League Kicks Coach) Graduated 2021
“I personally have gained a lot from the degree as it has helped improve my coaching and also my knowledge of various subjects which include diet, injury, rehabilitation, coaching styles and methodology, sports performance and analysis, training and monitoring and strength and conditioning.
I have also gained more confidence as it has challenged me and presented opportunities such as working with the Swansea City AFC Foundation on the Premier League Kicks project. This experience has helped me secure a full-time role with the Foundation since I graduated.
All the lecturers are very knowledgeable and supportive, you are treated as an individual and they are all on hand to help, not just face to face but via email and also on online. Knowing you have that support available is a great help and the lectures are also very flexible working with your personal commitments.”
Bursary / Scholarship Information