Support for Students From Care
National Care Leavers’ Week
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is playing an integral part in an inspirational new campaign that will be launched during National Care Leavers’ Week later this month.
The aim of the BeThe #1 campaign is to encourage Foster Carers, key workers and teachers to help the young people in their care to raise their educational attainment and aspirations.
National Care Leavers’ Week is about highlighting the needs of care leavers and encouraging the agencies responsible for looking after them to work in a coordinated and effective way.
The dedicated Carers week also offers an opportunity to focus on the numerous issues facing an invisible minority who have to deal with a particular set of challenges as they enter adult life. It’s also a chance to raise awareness amongst the public and to underline the support that’s desperately needed for these young people.
High Standard of Care and Support
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is committed to providing a high standard of care and support for its students. If you are a student entering Higher Education from care, you can be assured that the University will offer the necessary support and information.
This support is available whilst you are deciding what or where to study, continues through the university application process, and is on-going once you have started your course. Help and information are also available if you are someone advising a student from care. We are delighted that we have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark in recognition of our commitment to care leavers in higher education.
As a student from care, or as someone advising a care leaver, your first point of contact is the named person for care leavers:
Carmarthen Campus: Delyth Lewis. Tel: 01267 676947 or email@example.com
Lampeter Campus: Lynda Lloyd-Davies. Tel: 01570 424722 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Swansea Campus: Sharon Alexander. Tel: 01792 481123 or email@example.com
Non-campus based students: Delyth Lewis. Tel: 01267 676947 or firstname.lastname@example.org
They are based in Student Services, and can give you information about all aspects of the University's support provision – both prior to admission and whilst studying.
At the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, the following are provided:
- Pre-entry guidance from the Careers Adviser, and help if required during the university application and admissions process.
- Peer mentor support to help you settle in during the first few weeks of term.
- Targeted financial support for care leavers through the University's bursary and financial contingency funds.
- An integrated Student Services department, offering easy access to financial support, accommodation, additional needs, counselling, and specialist academic support services.
- Regular meetings between the named contact and students from care to identify support requirements and to liaise with University departments and external agencies where appropriate (and with the student’s express permission).
- Help with planning and arranging your accommodation for both term and vacation time.
- A high degree of confidentiality for students from a care background in respect of service provision and specific arrangements.
You can declare on your UCAS application form that you have been in care, or your social services team can let us know that you are a care leaver. This means that we can make sure that support is in place from an early stage.
Some useful websites