High Standard of Care and Support

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is committed to providing a high standard of care and support for its students. If you are a student entering Higher Education from care, you can be assured that the University will offer the necessary support and information.

‌This support is available whilst you are deciding what or where to study, continues through the university application process, and is on-going once you have started your course. Help and information are also available if you are someone advising a student from care.  We are delighted that we have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark in recognition of our commitment to care leavers in higher education.

As a student from care, or as someone advising a care leaver, your first point of contact is the named person for care leavers:

Carmarthen Campus:
Delyth Lewis
Tel: 01267 676947
Email: d.lewis@uwtsd.ac.uk

Lampeter Campus:
Lynda Lloyd-Davies
Tel: 01570 424722
Email: l.lloyd-davies@uwtsd.ac.uk

Swansea Campus: 
Sharon Alexander
Tel: 01792 481123
Email: sharon.alexander@uwtsd.ac.uk

Non-campus based students:
Delyth Lewis
Tel: 01267 676947
Email: d.lewis@uwtsd.ac.uk

They are based in Student Services, and can give you information about all aspects of the University's support provision – both prior to admission and whilst studying.

At the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, the following are provided:

  • Pre-entry guidance from the Careers Adviser, and help if required during the university application and admissions process.
  • Peer mentor support to help you settle in during the first few weeks of term.
  • Targeted financial support for care leavers through the University's bursary and financial contingency funds.
  • An integrated Student Services department, offering easy access to financial support, accommodation, additional needs, counselling, and specialist academic support services.
  • Regular meetings between the named contact and students from care to identify support requirements and to liaise with University departments and external agencies where appropriate (and with the student’s express permission).
  • Help with planning and arranging your accommodation for both term and vacation time.
  • A high degree of confidentiality for students from a care background in respect of service provision and specific arrangements.

You can declare on your UCAS application form that you have been in care, or your social services team can let us know that you are a care leaver. This means that we can make sure that support is in place from an early stage.

Some useful websites