Top 10 Things to Do in Carmarthen
There are a lot of independent local cafés and restaurants in Carmarthen and as a community UWTSD promotes an ethos of always supporting small local businesses.
Here are a few places in Carmarthen to enjoy breakfast/lunch/dinner or some tapas and live music:
- Yr Egin – On Campus!
- Yr Atom
- Karmen Café – Hidden Gem!
- Pethau Da
- Diablo's – Tapas and Live music!
- Lorenzos – Live music!
- The Warren – A great place for vegetarians!
2. Become Castle Hunters!
Carmarthen has an amazing number of beautiful and historical castles and towers on its doorstep. Many provide beautiful viewpoints of the area too:
- Carmarthen Castle
- Llansteffan Castle
- Dryslwyn Castle
- Paxton’s Tower
- Dinefwr Castle
- Laugharne Castle
- Carreg Cennen Castle
3. Explore the Beaches!
Carmarthen has the advantage of being a short drive from some of West Wales’s most beautiful beaches. We would recommend you visit the seaside towns of Tenby and Saundersfoot or Llansteffan Beach to name a few and if you don’t mind a road trip you will find plenty of other beaches not much further afield!
4. Something a little different…
- The British Bird of Prey Centre
- Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo
- Manor Wildlife Park Tenby
- Dolau Cothi Gold mines
- Oakwood Theme Park
5. Hop on the train… not out of here though!
In Carmarthen, there is something for everyone so if you like trains we’ve got you…
The Gwili Railway is a Welsh heritage railway that operates a preserved standard gauge railway line from the site of Abergwili Junction just outside the town along a four-and-a-half-mile section of the former Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line.
6. If you love art, we have…
- Oriel Myrddin Gallery
- Origin Gallery
- King Street Gallery
- Carmarthen School of Art - Job's Well
7. Get Active!
If you like being active, we have plenty of opportunities to get your heart racing right here on our doorstep.
- Hit the gym on campus.
- Cycling; as well as having beautiful views to take in while cycling we also have a Velodrome in Carmarthen and the Carmarthen Bay Coastal Route.
- If you're more of a mountain biker there are trails nearby in Brechfa Forest, Cwm Rhaeadr Forest, Allt Nant-y-Ci and Crychan Forest.
- Coasteering, Canoeing and Whitewater rafting in nearby Pembrokeshire
- Coastal Foraging
- Horse Riding in Pendine and Pembrey
- Pembrey motorsports circuit
- Pembrey dry ski slopes
- Blue Lagoon Water park
8. Wander and Explore…
- Brecon Beacons National Park
- Carmarthen Park
- Cwm Rhaeadr
- Dylan Thomas Boat House
- Hywel Dda Gardens
- Aberglasney Gardens
- The Botanical Gardens
- Llyn Llech Owain
9. Take a trip up to UWTSD’s Lampeter Campus!
Did you know there are buses that can take you up from Carmarthen to Lampeter and back? Here at UWTSD you are welcome on any of our campuses. Take a trip up to Lampeter and check out our top 10 things to do in Lampeter.
The same applies for the top 10 things to do in Swansea.
10. There is always something going on in Carmarthen….
Seasonally we have a Winter Wonderland and a large Fireworks display held in Carmarthen Park as well as a Christmas Market in the town centre. Carmarthen’s outdoor Market is held every Wednesday and Friday selling food, fresh produce, arts and crafts and much more.