Be my guest!
This unique 1-year generic programme combines professional vocational training & academic learning. It is developed for potential students who may have taken time away from study or taken a career break and feel they need to develop their confidence and skills in order to return to education. It is also designed for those wish to feel they are unable to commit to a 3-year degree or 2-year diploma programme with the opportunity to undertake a short programme at University.
On successful completion of the certificate, students can move directly on to level 5 of the degree or diploma in either Tourism Management, International Travel and Tourism Management, or Leisure Resort Management for further specialist study.
The programme is also open to tourism and hospitality professionals who are currently working in the industry and wish to gain a higher qualification whilst continuing their employment on a part-time basis and studying on a part-time basis over 2 years. Similarly, the programme is also open to tourism and hospitality organisations during the quieter winter months to provide additional training opportunities for their workforce whilst still enabling them either to continue working part-time or take time off to study and have the ability to return to work full time in the industry for the busy summer tourism season.
Tourism, Travel and Leisure Management (CertHe)
UCAS Code: TTL6
Apply via UCAS
The applicant will be considered on their industry experience, personal qualities, as well as their academic qualifications and should, apply via UCAS.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
Why choose this course
A unique course which enables students to undertake a short University programme to build their confidence and develop their professional industry skills.
- The opportunity to combine academic learning with paid employment which is directly related to the students Tourism & Hospitality studies. This may appeal to students who need to earn money whilst studying, those already working in the industry or to organisations who want to give their staff the opportunity to develop their skills and learning during the winter months whilst the business is quiet but still be able to commit full time during the tourism season.
- Unlike many Foundation degrees, the placement experiences will be paid positions, and unlike Apprenticeships, they will attract industry salary scales as well as possible student funding.
- Students are offered unrivalled field trip and global placement opportunities with leading international travel & tourism organisations in order for them to gain operational experience and develop the professional skills as part of an international placement programme or they can spend the summer season working in the local tourism and hospitality industry.
- The School of Tourism & Hospitality has over 25 year’s experience delivering cutting edge professional programmes in Leisure & Tourism focusing on promoting guest service excellence and empowerment from the outset.
- The industry experienced teaching team provide a friendly and supportive approach to University life especially for those who are returning to academic studies after either working or taking a career break.
- Number 1 in Wales for Tourism, Events & Hospitality (NSS 2019 and Guardian League Tables 2019).
What you will learn
This programme focuses on developing the student’s academic skills and confidence as well as their practical industry skills.
During their studies students focus on developing cutting edge guest service skills, an appreciation of the importance of niche marketing and social media, as well as the foundations of management and the opportunity to consider the key issues effecting the tourism, travel and leisure industry.
- Academic and Industry Skills
- Hospitality and Guest Service Management
- Niche Marketing and Social Media
- Managing Tourism, Leisure and Events Organisations
- Professional Development and Operational Placement
- Tourism and Events Industry and Issues
The programme will be assessed through a structured mix of practical assessments, case studies, management reports, presentations, essays, travel reviews, training exercises, debates and audits.
Assessments will wherever possible be designed to develop professional skills including leadership, management, guest service and team work in preparation for industry careers. There are NO examinations on this course.
#TourismOnTour Malaysia & Singapore
Going Places Together with Qatar Airways, Cardiff Airport & the University of Malaya Wales.
At UWTSD Tourism in Swansea, we make the World your lecture theatre. To discover more watch this short video taster of the International Tourism Educational Tour which brings the student’s learning alive & see the world like never before.
Swansea Business Campus
36 UCAS points
The programme focuses on developing employability and career opportunities for students within the Travel, Tourism and Leisure industry in the UK and overseas.
This could include working in hotels, travel agents, attractions, leisure centres or for tour operators in the UK or overseas. The programme enables students to move into supervisory positions or to develop their management and academic skills through further study at diploma or degree level.
Students will have the opportunities to take part in regular field study trips which may include some travel costs. There is likely to be an induction residential trip which will include industry visits and is likely to cost no more than a maximum of £50 to include accommodation and food.
Upskilling bursaries are available for up to £200 towards the cost of industry training which may include wine and spirit training or lifeguard training in order to help students develop their skills.
Where students are undertaking overseas placements there may be funding available for study or work abroad through the Global Discover Programme.
Visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.