Through a blend of online with some weekend delivery, the CertHE Understanding Mental Health offers a unique learning experience for individuals either currently working within the mental health field who wish to further develop their knowledge or for those wishing to pursue careers in mental health with no previous experience.
The Certificate in Higher Education has been specifically structured to incorporate strong employability and professional skills, including a strong focus on small group work and a module offering work placement hours. The programme is structured around a coherent development of theoretical understanding, practical and research skills, and ethical and professional issues pertinent to the field of mental health and wellbeing.
Alongside an Introduction to Mental Health the course will cover some of the following areas and topics: Mental health in children and young people; stress, coping and resilience, and Professional skills in mental health.
- All applications to study for a full-time undergraduate degree are made via UCAS
- UCAS institution code: T80
- Visit the University's apply section to find out more
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Why choose this course
- New Psychology labs that encourage critical thinking, problem-solving and research skills.
- Enhancing understanding of the link between theoretical concepts and practical applications.
- Assisting and guiding students through online lectures, small group seminars and workshops.
- Providing support through our personal tutor system.
- Supporting the development of a wide range of transferable and employability skills in our students.
What you will learn
The course will be delivered through a mix of online delivery, face to face theory and practical sessions. This will be delivered over 3 days per week in a blended learning format. Theory and practical sessions will be at UWTSD’s new Waterfront campus in Swansea.
The programme team will work with students and professional partners to provide opportunities for students to gain work experience within a real environment or within the university.
Students on all pathways will study the following modules:
- Mental health in children and young people
- Stress, coping and resilience
- Professional skills in mental health
- Legal, ethics and professional issues in mental health
- Culture and community
- Treatment models and approaches
The module assessments are comprised of coursework, portfolios and in-class lab-based exercises in order to closely resemble the way in which you will use knowledge and skills in the workplace.
We are interested in people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals with varying levels of prior experience or qualifications.
This programme has a specific focus on developing relevant employability skills and subject-specific knowledge for a broad range of employment and career opportunities within the wide field of health-care service provision.
With the NHS being the largest employer in Wales and the focus of Mental Health on the Welsh and Central Government Agenda, this programme can help not only develop a strong set of employability skills that can help individuals enter a range of mental health-related professions but also provide an attractive opportunity for continuing professional development for those already working within these professional fields.
There are expected to be no additional costs for ths course.
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section.
Please visit our Accommodation pages for more information