The CIPD Level 5 Diploma in Applied HR, is a fully funded Higher Apprenticeship qualification in HR Management. It is equivalent to the second year of a university degree in the UK. Employees currently in HR roles (at any level) are eligible to apply.
Students will be enrolled on the Apprenticeship with Coleg Sir Gar and will undertake this qualification with the University of Wales Trinity Saint David as part of the Apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship takes two years to complete with apprentices dividing their time between:
- undertaking their role
- being taught on-the-job (e.g. being trained by a manager)
- being taught off-the-job (e.g. attending UWTSD).
On successful completion of the CIPD’s Level 5 Diploma in Applied Human Resources candidates will become Associate members of the CIPD. Associate membership is recognised as a professional level of membership and successful candidates are entitled to use the designation AssocCIPD after their name.
CIPD Diploma in Applied Human Resources
Please send a completed application form to email@example.com
Your eligibility for the funding will be assessed by Coleg Sir Gar.
Apply Now Request Information
Faculty of Business and Management
fully funded for eligible students (Home/EU)
Why choose this course
- The Higher Apprenticeship will enable apprentices to develop knowledge and skills in human resource management whilst being employed and earning a salary.
- Employers will have a chance to expand their human resource function and better support their most valuable asset: their people.
- This course is fully funded for eligible students.
- Attendance is via monthly workshops and so involves minimal time away from work.
- There are no exams.
What you will learn
The Level 5 Diploma in Applied Human Resources is a 90 credit qualification and includes 16 units – 5 Core units, 6 additional knowledge-based units (Group A units) and 5 competence based units (Group B units). Group A and B units have been pre-selected by the University from a range of units offered for this qualification by the CIPD.
The Diploma consists of the following units:
- Using a Research Approach in Human Resources
- Developing Professional Practice in Human Resources
- Understanding the Contemporary Human Resources Function
- Understanding the Business Context of Human Resources
- Understanding Employment Law
- Understanding the Management of Employment Relations
- Understanding the Link between Individual and Organisational Performance
- Contributing to improving Organisational Performance
- Understanding Employee Engagement
- Contributing to Employee Engagement in the Organisation
- Understanding the Management of Change
- Contributing to the Management of Change
- Understanding Coaching and Mentoring in the Organisation
- Contributing to Coaching and Mentoring in the Organisation
- Understanding Resourcing and Talent Planning
- Contributing to Resourcing and Talent Planning in the Organisation
Formative assessment is embedded throughout the course to encourage self- development, with summative assessment at the end of each unit as recommended by the CIPD. Details of the assessment will be released by the unit tutor at the beginning of the unit delivery.
The range of assessment methods utilised ensures that all the learning outcomes and assessment criteria are met in a way that enhances the student’s learning experience. They should allow candidates to demonstrate a clear grasp of the concepts and their ability to link theory to practice and to communicate clearly in the HR field at the appropriate level.
These include assignments, case studies, group and individual presentations, blogs, work-related activities and reports. Assessment of the group B units will be via portfolios of evidence gathered in the workplace. There are no exams.
Swansea Business Campus
The Diploma is open to individuals employed in Human Resources, aged 18+. An interview will be held to determine the applicants’ ability to study at level 5. Due to the academic elements of the course, the preferred minimum entry qualification is ‘A’ levels (or equivalent) or an HNC/HND. However, those who hold the CIPD Certificate in Human Resource Practice (Foundation level)/ Certificate in Personnel Practice (CPP) or who have HR experience will also be considered.
Successful completion of the Diploma will enable students to apply for jobs that require the level 5 CIPD qualification. Students may also choose to progress to the level 7 CIPD Diploma in HRM.
Students may choose to purchase two core textbooks from the Kogan Page website.
- CIPD - Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- CIPD Intermediate Certificate in Human Resource Management
- MA Human Resource Management
Jane Sadler, Puffin Produce Ltd (Haverfordwest)
"The course is relevant to my job and it’s underpinning my practical knowledge and giving me ideas about how to develop management skills in human resources."
Carla Roberts, Recruitment Officer, Bluestone
"The course is helping me understand HR as a whole and how various industries face different HR challenges. It’s also helping us to focus on a more strategic rather than reactionary approach in the workplace as well as offering a widely recognised professional qualification."
Katy Barron, HR Administrative Assistant, Coleg Ceredigion.
"I’m quite new to my role so I’m benefitting from gaining a deeper knowledge of HR and putting into practice what I’m learning. We learn various modules and the module on management of change has been particularly helpful and relevant to my organisation."
Rhodri Packman, Business Partner, Chwarae Teg
"The course is an excellent way of getting a qualification and I’m already applying what I’m learning with my clients. Up to date legislation helps me deliver quality and diversity to Welsh businesses as part of my role. Working on a European project, it’s all current and relevant to me delivering quality and diversity support to businesses to create a fair and equal Wales for women."
Jackie Towell, Group HR Manager, Premier Group, Swansea
"I got into HR by chance as I was asked to cover maternity leave and 12 years later, I’m finally getting the CIPD qualification to match my experience. It’s great that it’s free for companies and people are getting professionally qualified. I really enjoy studying with other people as you learn about HR challenges and practices in a vast section of industries."
This course is fully-funded. CIPD student membership fees are also paid by Coleg Sir Gar for the duration of the programme.