My Studies

Many students will be struggling to balance working from home with caring for children, or are key workers who are asked to take extra shifts and all of us coming to terms with the new restrictions. 

The University is working hard to ensure that you will be able to continue with your course and graduate, but we realise that these are difficult times for all.

We have collated some key information to help answer any questions you may have about how COVID-19 may affect your studies.

I am a placement student, do I need a test?

Please be aware that this guidance is subject to change as the situation changes. We urge you please to keep an eye on your emails to make sure you are aware of the latest position.

As a placement student, your requirement to have a test will be dependent on your setting. Currently this is not mandatory but please keep in touch with the provider to see if anything has changed. Should they require you to have a test, they should be able to guide you in how to obtain one through the local authority system. We know that some of your placement start dates have already been amended to facilitate access to testing

The University can offer placement students in Carmarthen, Lampeter and Swansea periodic testing from the 5th January through to the 28th of February. These will be the Lateral Flow tests and you will require 2 tests 3 days apart. Your result will be available within 2 hours.

Cardiff based students will be able to book a test on the 7th January. This test only needs to be undertaken once, but the results can take up to 48 hours to come back to you.

Placements outside of these areas will need to check what the local community is doing, for assistance with this, or to see if we can book you in with another University running a pilot, please email and we will do our very best to help you and we will do our very best to advise you.

Important: Electronic timetable for Campuses in Wales

(some timetables are being finalised and these include elements of WIAV, CBC, TDP Carmarthen and MA Contemporary Dialogues, Swansea.  These should be finalised within the next few days).

 Your timetable for the academic year is available on the HWB app.  Please do not print this information as it is subject to change, particularly as a result of the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic and Welsh Government directives.

 In order to ensure the health and wellbeing of all students and staff, it is important that you always refer to the electronic version of your timetable.  This will ensure that you have the correct information and will avoid any confusion and the potential of large groups gathering in any location at one time.  The timetable has been designed to ensure that the University can comply with health and safety requirements during the coronavirus pandemic, including the need to facilitate social distancing within our buildings. 

 The timetable contains the module title, lecturer and location.  If the session is held on-campus the name of the building and room is included; if it is delivered online it will indicate Online.  It is a live document and should be checked daily as any changes could be made at very short notice, e.g. if we need to move a class from on-campus to online delivery. Checking your online timetable will therefore avoid any unnecessary travel to the campuses.

 The health and safety of our community is our priority and we appreciate your co-operation

Track, Trace and Protect

The University is working with Public Health Wales and Local Authorities to control the spread of the coronavirus as part of the Welsh and UK Governments’ approach to testing and contact tracing by:

  • testing those people who have Coronavirus symptoms, asking them to self-isolate
  • tracing those individuals who have been in close contact with the person who has tested positive
  • providing advice and guidance to vulnerable people or those at greater risk, and
  • ensuring that individuals can get back to work, study and their normal routines as soon as possible.


For more information, visit:

Test, Trace, Protect: your questions (for people living in Wales)

Test and Trace: how it works (for people living in England)

The health and wellbeing of our community is of paramount importance. Please download the ‘NHS COVID-19’ App from the app store on your phone to help trace recent contacts of anyone who tests positive for coronavirus.

When on campus scan the nearest QR code on arrival (these will be located across our locations).

For those without a smartphone, paper-based registration will be available in local Reception areas and catering outlets.

Whilst providing your data is voluntary for your visit to campus, it is compulsory in our campus dine-in outlets.  However, we would request that you provide the information when attending the campuses so we can try to ensure a safe environment at UWTSD for students, staff and visitors alike.





What to do if you develop Coronavirus symptoms away from the University?

If you develop any of the Coronavirus symptoms away from the University, however mild, you must:


The COVID-19 online symptom checker (or NHS 111) can tell you if you need medical help.


What to do if you develop Coronavirus symptoms on University premises?

If you are a non-residential student and start to develop any of the Coronavirus symptoms whilst on University premises:

  • Please do not attend class or access other University facilities if you have symptoms.
  • Please apply a face covering if you have one.
  • Ensure you keep a 2m distance from anyone else.
  • Contact campus security immediately and follow their instructions to isolate you from others until arrangements can be made for you to go home or, if you are very unwell, to hospital.
  • At home you must:

If you are a University residential student and start to feel unwell with symptoms whilst on University premises:

  • Please do not attend class or access other University facilities if you have symptoms.
  • Remain or return to your accommodation (applying a face covering if you have one ensuring you follow social distancing from anyone else).
  • Contact campus security immediately and follow their instructions.
  • Notify your programme director as soon as practicable.
  • Further guidance will be issued to you and your ‘household’ regarding self-isolation and coronavirus testing.
While I am isolating in University residences, how can I obtain essential supplies of food?

If you are living in a University residence, please contact for help obtaining food and other essential supplies. We’ll call in with all isolating students regularly to ensure that anything you need can be dealt with as soon as possible. Most students are using local supermarkets and doing online deliveries, but all this information will be with you in your flat if you have to isolate.

Can I return home whilst isolating, rather than remaining at my term-time address?

No, you should remain at your term-time address and isolate there along with other members of your ‘household’. Travelling to an alternative address risks the unnecessary spread of the virus.


What do I need to do, as a student, if I am contacted by the Test & Protect Team and informed that I am a close contact of a confirmed case?

You should follow the guidance you are given on self-isolation and notify teaching staff of your absence where you would do so normally. If you are in a University residence, you should notify the accommodation team as soon as possible remaining in your residence for the required period of isolation.

What is the cleaning regime in University residences?

Regular enhanced cleaning will take place in high traffic areas and shared spaces. Enhanced cleaning protocols will be applied where persons are showing symptoms or tested positive for Coronavirus.


What arrangements are in place for teaching?

UWTSD students can be reassured that our blended approach to learning and teaching will ensure a seamless transition from face-to-face to online delivery as future circumstances dictate ensuring that you are able to complete your studies as planned.

 Earlier this year the University transferred all of its teaching online, adjusted assessments, and took the necessary steps to ensure that the vast majority of our students were able to either complete their awards or progress to the next level of study. Building on our current experience, we are looking to deliver the very best educational experience for our students integrating face-to-face teaching on campus with online delivery.

We are considering all possible approaches to timetabling including a staggered approach to reduce pinch points in order to ensure that we can offer as many face-to-face learning opportunities as possible.

 We want to ensure that we offer a flexible, creative learning environment that makes the best use of the students’ time on campus and supports practical learning and social activities within the social distancing government guidelines.

How do we respond to further restrictions/changes?

UWTSD students can be reassured that our blended approach to learning and teaching will ensure a seamless transition from face-to-face to online delivery as future circumstances dictate ensuring that you are able to complete your studies as planned.

International Students

For further information email

If I start my studies online, will I be able to come to the UK to study afterwards?

As soon as the UK Government recommendations allow us to safely open all of our campuses, and travel restrictions are lifted, you could progress to study the next term/semester as normal. Please note that you may still need to consider possibilities such as a period of self-isolation, for example.

I hope to study my programme online initially and may want to consider travelling to the UK at a later point. Do I need to organise a visa as normal?

As you will not be travelling to the UK initially, you will not need to apply for a visa for the start of your programme. If and when you are ready to attend in the UK, we will work with you to apply for a visa. Please note that you will still need to meet the requirements for a tier 4 visa application and we remind you to prepare this in advance, to allow for faster processing.

How much financial evidence will I need to consider for my application, if I intend to arrive the UK at a later point?

We will clarify this amount when you intend to start the course, but generally, this will be the remainder of your tuition fee (if you have not paid in full) plus your living costs (as defined by UKVI).

How much do I need to pay if I hope to take my first term/semester online, before travelling to the UK to resume my studies?

You will need to pay the deposit. You can pay for your tuition fee in full in advance, if you wish – this allows you to show a smaller amount for your financial evidence.

How will I enrol?

If you hope to study your programme online, your documents will be checked remotely. You will receive a link to enrol, allowing you access to our systems. We are planning enrolment in more detail and will update you in more detail in the coming months.



I need to provide evidence that I meet the English language requirements, what do you accept?
I need to provide evidence that I meet the academic requirements, but due to COVID-19 outbreak, I will not be able to provide them in time. What can I do?

At present, our recommendation is to seek a deferral to the next available intake.

How does the current lockdown affect UWTSD students?

You can find some of the information our students are receiving here:

I’d like to defer; will this affect my tuition fee?

If you hope to defer within the 20/21 academic year, we will honour the fee on your offer letter. If you hope to defer to the 21/22 academic year (during or after September 2021), you will be subject to any fee updates that may occur.

Information for International Students

In light of the current Public Health situation in the UK, the UK government has issued some new guidance for visa holders who are in the UK such as international students. The attached government factsheet sets out the detail of these changes.

In brief, the UK government appreciates that some visa holders may be unable to travel back home at present before their current visa expires due to travel restrictions in their home country or due to the fact they may be self-isolating at present. If this is  the case there is a process that can now be followed that will enable them to stay in the UK for a longer period. This is via an email notification to the UKVI. Details are contained on the factsheet on how to apply for this short extension and if this situation applies to you we would ask that you initially contact the University at to help guide you through this process. 

In addition, this factsheet also confirms that Tier 4 students who are undertaking online teaching due to the current situation in the UK can do so without it impacting their visa status. This is the case regardless of whether the student is in the UK or overseas.

We hope this provides you all with the assurances you need from a visa perspective at this unsettling time and if you need any assistance at all at this difficult time please do not hesitate to contact the University at where the international registry team will be able to assist you.



Still need more information?

The University will continue to provide updates to you through the Bulletin, but you can also ask questions through the Hwb and the Students Union