Immigration and Visas

UWTSD provides a comprehensive and expert support service for every step of your UK study visa application

If you are a citizen of a country that is not part of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, it is likely that you will require a visa to enter the UK to study. The type of visa you need to apply for will depend on your individual circumstances, including the length and level of your proposed course of study.

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Website willl tell you if you need a visa to study in the UK with UWTSD and, if so, what type of visa you should apply for.

Guide for applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa from outside of the UK

Guide for applying for a Short term student visa

Make sure that you have completed an application form and submitted it to the University. There is more information available to help you with this in the How to Apply section.

Once your application is accepted, you will then be given detailed guidance and support for your visa application.

No. UWTSD works only with Recruitment Agents that it has assessed and approved. These Agents have been trained by the University and are, therefore, aware that you and they must work through the University's visa application team.

You should ensure that your Agent is incuded on the university's approved lists given in the Regions section.

There are several different types of visa that permit you to enter the UK. These are issued according to the purpose of your last visit; for example, for tourism, study, or work.

In almost all cases, to be able to study at UWTSD you will be required to make a new, study visa application from your home country.

However, if you require a Tier 4 (General) visa for your studies (the most common visa type for students), you may be able to change (switch) to a this visa if you’re in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:

  • Tier 1 (Post-study work)
  • Tier 2 (General)
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
  • Tier 4 (Child)
  • student (under the rules in place before 31 March 2009)
  • student re-sitting an examination
  • student nurse
  • students writing up a thesis
  • student union sabbatical officer
  • work permit holder
  • postgraduate doctor or dentist
  • Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme
  • International Graduates Scheme
  • Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme

You will need to pay a visa application fee and the prices for these are given on the UKVI's website for each type of visa. 

You will also need to pay a 'Health Surcharge' fee and the price of this will vary according to the duration of your requested visa. 

The University's immigration team will advise you on the exact costs that you must pay for your specific circumstances and will guide you through the payment process. There is no additional charge to you for the advice service provided by the University.

No. The UK Government has announced that there will be no immediate change in the visa regulations for European citizens as a result of 'Brexit'. Therefore you do not need to apply for a UK study visa for admission to UWTSD in 2016 or 2017.

If you are planning to study in the UK through an exchange programme arrangement, please see the Study Abroad and Exchange section for more information.

If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you do not need to apply for a UK visa to participate in the Erasmus+ or other Study Abroad programme. All other students must apply for a UK visa.

For those students who need a visa, the type required will be defined by your passport or travel document, the details of your exchange programme arrangement, and your period of study.

If you are from a country that is stated by UKVI to be eligible for 'Tier 4 differentiation arrangements', you must still apply for a visa but you will normally be required to provide fewer evidential documents with your application. However please note that UKVI may request these or other documents from you during their assessment and will refuse any application where the specified documents are not provided within the period specified in that request.

More information on these exchange programmes is given in the Study Abroad and Exchange section.

This is possible in only very limited circumstances.

If you are eligible to apply for a 'Short-Term Study Visa' and you are a ‘non-visa national’ (for example, a national of Australia, USA, Canada, Japan, etc.), you can choose whether to apply for your visa in advance of travelling, or to wait until you arrive at the port of entry to the UK and make your request to enter as a short-term student there.

Guidance on those nationalities that are considered to be 'non-visa nationals' within this visa category is given on the UKVI's website.

However, if you have not travelled from your home country previously (and/or if you are travelling to the UK via the Republic of Ireland), you may feel more secure in making your visa application before you leave. 

If you choose to apply on arrival at the port of entry, it is very important that you ask to be admitted as a short-term student (rather than as a visitor). You will need to make a special effort to talk to the Border Force Officer to explain this (particularly if you have travelled to the UK via the Republic of Ireland) and also must ensure that you have all necessary, original documentation with you. Make sure that they look at your short-term student visa letter (provided by the University and which confirms your unconditional offer for study), and check that the stamp you get in your passport indicates you are here as a short-term student.

We recommend you start by reading the information and guidance contained in these pages and also look at the UK Visa and Immigration website. If you can’t find what you are looking for or need further personal advice, you can email the University team at:
Immigration advice and services are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and we as an institution must abide by the Commissioner's Code of Standards. The advisory team that provide support to you on behalf of the University hold OISC accreditation and, in this context, they can only work with UWTSD applicants (and, where appropriate, their dependents).