UWTSD Home  -  International Students  -  International Student Life  -  Preparing for Arrival and Orientation

Preparing for Arrival and Orientation


Orientation is the perfect way to introduce yourself to life and study at UWTSD

We look forward to welcoming you to our close community of both staff and students at UWTSD. To help you make a successful start and make new friends we have put together an orientation programme which is free to attend.

Sessions of our orientation programme include:

  • An introduction to UWTSD
  • Studying in the UK
  • Visa responsibilities
  • Registration
  • Student support
  • English language support
  • How to register with a bank
  • How to register with your local doctor


This information is not relevant for students from within the EU, Norway, Lichtenstein or Switzerland (the EEA).    

You must enrol on your programme at UWTSD as soon as possible after your arrival in the UK. Our staff will be on hand to support you and help you complete the process. Further advice regarding enrolment will be provided as part of your welcome to the University. 

Please make sure you bring the documents listed below with you to our enrolment sessions.  All international students who need immigration permission to study at UWTSD will be required to show their immigration documents to staff for checking and photocopying before enrolling.  The University is required to keep copies of your passports and visas on file as proof that you have been given permission to enter the UK and study at the University. 

You will also be required to pay any balance remaining of your tuition fee for the first year of your programme if you are not in receipt of official financial sponsorship.

  1. Your current passport
  2. Your short term visa which was issued for you to enter the UK. This will be a vignette (sticker) on a page in your passport
  3. Your BRP card (Biometric Residence Permit card). Please make sure that you collect this from the Post Office stated on your UKVI letter before coming to the enrolment session.
    You are also advised to read our
    BRP guide which is available on our website

Please remember that your CAS statement which you used to apply for your Tier 4 visa will include a ‘latest date of arrival’.  You must enrol at the University by that date as this is one of the terms and conditions of your Tier 4 visa. 

If you are not going to be able to arrive by our enrolment dates you must ask our staff for advice,  as the University will be obliged to report any student to UKVI if they do not enrol as expected. 

If you are delayed for a genuine reason such as your visa not being processed in time for you to travel, we can provide you with the appropriate advice.  Please email us as soon as you know that you will not be able to travel in time to enrol and we can offer you the appropriate advice.  Our email address is international.registry@uwtsd.ac.uk

  1. Your current passport
  2. Your visa which allows you to study on your programme
  3. If you applied for Entry Clearance upon arrival in the UK (non-Visa Nationals only) - the Entry Clearance stamp in your passport that allows you to remain in the UK until after your course end date.

 International BRP Flyer


If you have sent your original passport and visa to the Home Office to apply for immigration permission from the UK, you must provide copies of the original documents and confirmation of the immigration permission for which you have applied. 

You will have received confirmation from the Home Office if you have submitted an application and will need to provide this confirmation before you can enrol.

Important information about the E-Gate expansion scheme for students coming from these countries: