Study Abroad for the experience of a lifetime

International Student with Wales Flag

There are many different opportunities for UWTSD Opportunities to spend time abroad as part of their studies. These include study placements, work placements, short and summer programmes. Some destinations and opportunities are restricted depending on what degree scheme you are on. There is also funding available through Turing and Global Wales Discover this academic year.

Please note that study abroad is only open to students enrolled directly with the University on the Carmarthen, Swansea, Lampeter and Cardiff campuses and is not available to students enrolled via our collaborative partner institutions.

Deadlines to apply for outward mobility

Apply by 
31/10/2021 Spring 2022
31/03/2022 for Summer 2022

There will be no outward mobility from UWTSD for this semester (September - December 2021)

Please note that outward mobility will be subject to review in line with University and Government travel regulations. Students are strongly advised not to book any outbound travel plans before consulting with the University at who will be able to offer the appropriate advice.

Download our Study Abroad Form and return it to the Executive International Officer

Download application form

See videos of students who have enjoyed an International Opportunity to study abroad

Contact our International Team

If you require more information please contact:

International Recruitment Unit

UWTSD Semester Abroad Handbook

Details of our international study opportunities

Click your chosen subject area for the available choices and further information

What do I do first?

Talk to the International recruitment unit regarding study abroad. There are several programmes available to you:

  • Do some research. Visit the university’s website; ask other students who have been previously.
  • Talk to your  personal tutor regarding your plans.

Apply for the Study Abroad Programme

How do I apply for the programme?

Do you have a current UK passport? You will need this to make your visa application, so apply for one as soon as you can.

Students should contact the International recruitment unit for an informal discussion.

Students should then notify School(s) of a general interest in study abroad.

A completed application form must be returned to Kath Griffiths, and must include:

  • Two references from University tutors one of which must be your Programme director.
  • A transcript of your current academic profile.
  • An essay as part of the application form (1 side of A4) explaining why you would like to partake in the Study Abroad programme.

Once this has been completed you will be called for interview with the International recruitment unit, and relevant representative members of academic staff.

After you have been accepted, you will need to fill in application forms for the Host Institution.

Before leaving for the host Institution, you will need:

  1. A medical check is required before you leave and you must take the form with you.
  2. Medical Insurance is required before you go. 
  3. Travel Insurance
  4. visa (If applicable)


Students are required to organise their own flights. Those travelling to the USA are urged to book flights after they have received their visa.

Q. How much money should I take?
A. The amount you will spend will vary from person to person. Please read the semester abroad handbook for a guide. 

Q. Does the academic credit transfer back to my home University?
A. All credit transfers back to UWTSD and counts towards your degree.

Q. Will I have to share a room?
A. Most US students share dorm rooms. However, as this is not the custom here, UK students usually receive single rooms.

Q. Can I go at another time?
A. You can only go during the periods specified for your course.

Committed to the Quality of UK TNE