Students can access general IT facilities through a number of computer rooms/areas conveniently located around the University campuses.
What do computer rooms offer?
- PCs connected to the University’s data network
- Usually a multifunctional device (MFD) offering colour and black and white printing, copying and scanning or a colour laser printer
- May also contain wireless access and more specialised equipment such as plotters, Sports Analysis Equipment and audio visual equipment
- Long opening hours with many of them open 24/7
- In line with the University’s Green agenda, if a PC has not been used for ten minutes it will usually automatically shut down so you may need to turn the PC on.
Access to computer rooms
- Open to all members of the University
- Access outside core hours is by Student Card only and in some cases access is via the Porters
- It is important that you do not allow other people to enter computer rooms/areas, or other limited access areas, by holding the door open for them when you have used your card to get access
- You must be prepared to use your Student Card to identify yourself to University security staff when you are in a computer room/area during a limited access period. These areas are monitored by CCTV.
Laptop wireless access
Laptop wireless access is available at a number of University locations.
Advice on connecting your laptop to the wireless network is available on our wireless page.
Below is a list of accessible computer rooms and printer facilities. Please note, if the room is booked for use you are not allowed to use it.
|Carmarthen Campus Locations|
|Location||PCs||Operating System||Print/Copy/Scan||Access hours||May be booked
|Dewi 1 (D003)||20||Windows 10||Yes (opposite reception)||24/7 (after midnight via Porters)||Yes|
|Dewi 2 (D004)||18||
|Yes (opposite reception)||24/7 (after midnight via Porters)||No|
|Cwad||20||Windows 10||Yes||Library opening hours||
|Cwad Room 1||2||Windows 10||Yes (Cwad)||Library opening hours||
|Cwad Room 3||1||Windows 10||Yes (Cwad)||Library opening hours||
|Carmarthen Library||9||Windows 10||Yes||Library opening hours||No|
|Teaching & Learning 12||16||Mac OS||Yes||No out of hours access||Yes|
Lampeter Campus Locations
||17||Windows 10||Yes||University card access out of hours||Yes|
|UCS IT Lab
||16||Windows 10||Yes||No out of hours access||No|
|Library||24||Windows 10||Yes||Library opening hours||No|
London Campus Locations
|IT Lab||20||Windows 10||Yes||08:30-17:00||Yes
A full list of software installed on all Open Access computers can be found here.
Information Technology & Systems offers support of several platforms in the University, recognising the diverse needs of the user community on both desktops and laptops.
Having a list of standards will help in the setup and compatibility with other systems and applications and the ongoing support requirements.
The following ideal standards are being promoted by Information Technology & Systems in the use of desktops and laptops. These are subject to change as we continue to meet the diverse needs of the University.
|Operating System||Windows 10||MacOSX 10.4.x or greater|
|Web Browser||Microsoft Edge||Mozilla Firefox 3|
|Office Productivity||Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Office 365|
|Workstation anti-virus||Microsoft Defender||Microsoft Defender|
|PDF viewer||Adobe Reader||Adobe Reader|
|PDF creation||Adobe Acrobat CC||Adobe Acrobat CC|
|DVD writing||Nero||Built in (as part of the Finder)|