01144 & 01145 - Lecturers or Senior Lecturers: Initial Teacher Education (Primary Mathematics / Science) (Welsh-medium)
Full Time, Permanent (*Enquiries about secondment opportunities are welcomed)
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Yr Athrofa, is looking to appoint 3 passionate and committed educators to the following roles at our Carmarthen campus:
Vacancy Reference: 01144
Lecturer or Senior Lecturer: Initial Teacher Education (Primary Mathematics) (Welsh-medium) - 2 positions available
Vacancy Reference: 01145
Lecturer or Senior Lecturer: Initial Teacher Education (Interest in Primary Science or Health and Well-being) (Welsh-medium)
Yr Athrofa is proud to be working in partnership with the Welsh Government and colleagues on a number of important educational and community initiatives, including the design and development of Wales’ new national curriculum and the assessment of the learning of our pupils. We are a forward-thinking institution committed to playing a full and active role in the implementation of the Welsh Government’s long-term action plan, Education in Wales: Our National Mission. For more information about Yr Athrofa and its work, see page: www.athrofa.cymru
We are looking for individuals who seek to inspire the next generation of classroom teachers; educators to play a key role in the next stages of our development by actively contributing to the exciting and innovative Curriculum for Wales.
Based in Yr Athrofa, a stimulating and enquiring Institute of Education and Humanities, you will be able to draw upon a rich understanding and experience of the primary curriculum and be looking for professional development as a teacher educator. By working closely with student-teachers and school-based colleagues, there are a number of opportunities to make a positive impact on our young people and the wider teaching profession.
As we seek to build and extend our strength in offering Welsh-medium provision, the ability to communicate to a high standard in spoken and written Welsh is essential for these posts.
You will support Yr Athrofa’s programmes of Teacher Education, teaching Welsh-medium student-teachers. While maintaining a strong focus on the primary sector, with an interest in Science and/or health and well-being OR Mathematics and Numeracy, this will likely include support of various pathways (i.e. secondary) and modules across the suite of Teacher Education offered within the APLP. The role will include making whatever contributions necessary to support the implementation of the Welsh Government’s wider education strategy and National Mission.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Primary, 3-11 years) with QTS
- BA Primary Education with QTS
- Other associated programmes / modules
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Secondary) with QTS, as required
Main duties will be:
- To ensure delivery of high-quality teaching and learning
- To pursue growth opportunities, brokering relationships with key partners and engage with the wider welsh education community
- To collaborate, and where appropriate to support, on the detailed programme design, teaching and assessment of related modules and programmes, ensuring that they meet quality thresholds
- To ensure student satisfaction is suitably high and that learners are provided with the requisite levels of support needed to succeed
- To ensure that related modules and programmes set high expectations of professional practice, and are compliant with current professional and other standards and specifications
- To collaborate on the development of networks of schools as partners in school-based research, and establish Yr Athrofa as a leader in this field
- To mark, moderate and monitor work related to Teacher Education as appropriate
- Lecturer: Grade 7 / £35,845 - £41,526 per annum
- Senior Lecturer: Grade 8 / £42,792 - £51,034 per annum
- 35 days annual leave per year (plus 8 bank holidays & 4 University closure days)
- Opportunities for learning & development
- USS Employer Pension Scheme
You will need to hold an honours degree in a relevant subject, and the Award of Qualified Teacher Status. For the role of Senior Lecturer, you will also need a higher-level post-graduate qualification (Masters or above) relevant to the position (or be working towards one). You should also have:
- Ability to communicate fluently (spoken and written) through the medium of Welsh
- Comprehensive knowledge of teaching the primary curriculum
- Evidence of a strong and successful track record in delivering and developing teaching and learning
- Experience of contributing to assessment, moderation, and monitoring of academic work and study
- Experience in student-facing pastoral care and learner support
- Evidence of appropriate engagement with quality assurance and regulatory requirements
Further details, including the full Person Specifications, can be found in the Job Descriptions below.
These posts are subject to a Disclosure & Barring (DBS) Check.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to complete an application form (below) and return it to the HR department by 12noon on 13th August 2020. CVs are only accepted as supporting documents. Successful applicants will be invited to be interviewed.
For more information, or for an informal chat please contact Elaine Sharpling at firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other queries, please contact Human Resources on 01792 481277 or email@example.com
As part of any recruitment process, UWTSD collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Application Deadline Date: 13.08.2020