01178 - Trainee Careers Adviser
Full Time, Permanent
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is looking to appoint to the post of Trainee Careers Adviser. You will work remotely whilst the current COVID-19 situation necessitates working from home, but your primary location will be Llys Glas in Swansea.
We are offering a graduate the chance to train as a professional Careers Adviser, providing professional career education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) to students and graduates of UWTSD.
You will offer employability support such as: CV and application form checking; answering careers information queries; researching labour market information; and supporting the team with marketing. There will be opportunities to shadow members of the UWTSD careers team and learn about the work they do with academics, employers and other external bodies. You will be expected to work in close collaboration with the wider Student Services team.
Upon passing the 6-month probationary period, you will be offered the chance to study for a fully-funded MA in Career Guidance and Development at Coventry University, starting September 2021. Following completion of the MA, you will be a fully-qualified team member and there may be the opportunity to progress to a Grade 5 role.
Dependent upon experience, and with peer review, there is also the opportunity for you to manage a small caseload of your own, prior to undertaking the MA qualification.
Main duties will include:
- Assisting students in the preparation of application forms, CV checks, applications for postgraduate study and in the development of interview skills with peer training & support
- Maintaining and developing a range of careers information resources covering employability-related topics for digital use on Moodle and our Abintegro careers platform
- Assisting with marketing the online Careers Service and managing social media pages
- Liaising and engaging with national professional organisations in relation to careers education, information, advice and guidance, and participating in training where required
- Researching local, regional and national labour market information to inform students and graduates, and add vacancies to Abintegro
- Working in close collaboration with the GO Wales and wider Student Services team
- Recognising that the work environment may involve working at other locations and might require duties outside of normal working hours
- Ensuring that knowledge and understanding is kept up to date in respect of sector requirements
- Being aware of the key features of relevant quality standards e.g. AGCAS quality standard, QAA UK Quality Code
- Salary: £22,417 - £25,941 per annum
- 28 days annual leave per year (plus 8 bank holidays & 4 University closure days)
- Opportunities for learning & development
- USS Employer Pension Scheme
You will need to be educated to HND or Degree level (or equivalent). You should also have:
- A clearly demonstrable interest in Student Employability & Careers
- Effective organisation skills with experience of arranging events
- Ability to engage and work with a wide range of people, with good interpersonal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Ability to work effectively as an individual, as part of a team and in partnership with others
- Ability to analyse and interpret data
- Excellent IT, social media and digital literacy skills
- Effective presentation skills
Further details, including the full Person Specification, can be found in the Job Description below.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to complete an application form (below) and return it to the HR department by 12noon on 30th October 2020. CVs are only accepted as supporting documents. Successful applicants will be invited to be interviewed.
As part of any recruitment process, UWTSD collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Application Deadline Date: 30.10.2020