University Policy endorsed by Council welcomes efforts by and further encourages UWTSD’s researchers to make their work available online, free to the reader, as soon as possible after publication (subject to proper attribution and any conditions set by the publisher).

The Open Access Policy requires that all research outputs produced by staff in the University’s employment are submitted to the University’s Open Access Repository.  There are two broad types of output (A and B) and what you need to do is different for each.

  • Type A which covers research papers published in peer-review journals and published conference proceedings with an ISSN;
  • Type B covering all other research outputs

Mandatory – with limited embargo periods


  • Peer-reviewed research papers published in academic journals/periodicals
  • Conference proceedings published with ISSN

Mandatory – with user-defined embargo periods


All other research outputs, including but not limited to:

  • Research-based monographs
  • Edited research collections
  • Published conference papers (with ISBN)
  • Scholarly editions
  • Critical editions
  • Translations
  • Technical reports
  • Working papers and research reports
  • Primary data reports
  • Exhibition or museum catalogues
  • Creative writing and compositions
  • Reports on curatorship and conservation
  • Databases
  • Representations of performances and other types of live presentation
  • Representations of artefacts
  • Designs and exhibitions
  • Catalogues
  • Films, videos and other types of media presentation
  • Advisory report
  • Representations of physical artefacts such as buildings, devices, images, installations, materials, products and processes, prototypes.
  • Digital artefacts such as data sets, multi-use data sets, archives, non-print media, web content such as interactive tools.
  • New materials, devices, products and processes
  • Standards documents
  • Have a plan of when and where you want to publish and of how you want to make your publications Open Access
  • Take into account the Open Access requirements set by your research funder (where applicable).
  • Discuss and agree the approach with your research collaborators and co-authors (where applicable).
  • Be aware of the HEFCW open access requirements for the REF.

Type A outputs

Upon acceptance for publication in the journal or conference proceedings, your accepted and final peer-reviewed text (which may otherwise be known as the ‘accepted author manuscript’ or ‘final author version’ or ‘post-print’) must be deposited in the University’s Open Access Repository. You can do this either under the Green Route or the Gold Route.

Type B outputs

Monographs and edited collections. You must record the publication in the repository so that the University can present a full record of its staff’s research.

 It is recognised that where monographs or book chapters are concerned, it may not be possible for contractual reasons to make the full text open access. Where this is the case, authors who have an electronic version of their work are encouraged to upload it to the Open Access repository for preservation purposes. If necessary, an indefinite embargo period can be applied. If no embargo is applied the full text will be made available upon submission.  

Many publishers are revising their contracts to take account of the growth of open access.  Authors are therefore encouraged to negotiate publishing contracts that permit their work to be made available via the repository (with an appropriate embargo period if required). This is already a requirement for some research funders such as the Wellcome Trust and authors should check the terms of their grant before signing contracts with publishers.

Other research outputs:  Upload your output to the repository.

In the case of other types of research output, authors should ensure that no copyright or IP agreement has been breached upon submission and that the necessary permissions are in place to make the full text available without embargo. In each case, Library and Learning Resources and Research, Innovation & Enterprise Services will be able to assist.

There are two main ways to achieve Open Access, Green and Gold Routes.

You publish your article in a subscription journal, then self-archive a copy of the accepted manuscript (the final peer-reviewed version) in the UWTSD Open Access Research Repository. It is made freely available after an embargo period which may be specified by the journal.  No fee is charged.  This is known as the green route and is the University’s preferred mechanism.  If your work is funded, you will need to ensure that the embargo period does not exceed any limits placed by the research funder.  In all cases, the maximum embargo periods set by the REF are


  • 12 months for REF main panels A and B which include Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics subjects
  • 24 months for REF main panels C and D which include Social Science, Arts and Humanities subject areas

For research funded through any of the seven UK research councils:

  • RCUK will accept a delay of no more than 6 months between on‐line publication and the final Accepted Manuscript becoming Open Access.
  • In the case of papers in the arts, humanities and social sciences (which will mainly be funded by the AHRC and the ESRC), the maximum embargo period will be 12 months.

Publish in an open access journal or a ‘hybrid’ journal with an Open Access option.  You pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) to make the item available immediately on the publisher’s website.  The OA option means there are no subscription fees for libraries or charges to individual users to read the article.  This is known as the Gold Route.   The University does not have a block grant for the payment of APCs and if you need or wish to pay a charge by the publisher to make an item immediately Open Access via the publisher’s site, then this must be included in the proposed budget where this is permitted.   If this route is chosen you must also deposit a copy in the UWTSD research repository for digital preservation and to provide a comprehensive record for the University.

In some cases the University will have paid APCs through the library subscription and you will then be able to publish the article under the Gold Route free of any additional charge: see Transformative publisher agreements

Creative Commons Graphic
Adapted from the University of Oxford under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported licence (CC BY 3.0).  Original content at:

chat loading...