Human Resource Management (MA)
HR practitioners are increasingly required to understand how to strategically manage human resources in line with an organisation’s intended future direction. Swansea Business School offers the opportunity for students to study a CIPD approved MA in HRM, focused on delivering creative and expertly-designed learning which will allow practitioners to improve the delivery of Human Resource Management in organisations which is future focused.
The MA HRM aims to develop business savvy HR professionals who will form an integral part of the success of the businesses they support.
The programme is also aligned to delivering the core values and behaviours of the CIPD profession.
Above all our MA in HRM is designed to meet the needs of HR practitioners with a programme that is not just intellectually stimulating but also practically relevant and up to date.
The MA in HRM provides the development of in-depth knowledge and understanding of HRM within a wider organisational and contextual framework.
Current issues in HRM are explored and students will develop techniques applicable to enable application of a range of HRM skills to organisations in which they are likely to operate. Students who successfully complete the MA will also receive the Internationally recognised CIPD recognition towards Chartered Membership of the CIPD.
Students will study the following modules:
- Human Resource Management in Context
- Leading, Managing and Developing People
- Developing Skills for Business Leadership
- Employment Law
- Designing, Delivering and Evaluating Learning and Development Provision
- Managing Employment Relations
- Resourcing and Talent Management
- Investigating a Business Issue from a Human resource perspective*
*Students will be required to complete a piece of research on an HR issue within an organisation for this module.
- Research Methods
- To become CIPD qualified and gain a Master’s qualification in HRM
- Work with friendly, experienced practice-led tutors
- Become part of a network of professionals and gain access to additional professional development events and resources through our strong links with the local CIPD branch
- Study flexibly to suit your lifestyle and work commitments
- Benefit from a combination of small group learning supported by our virtual learning environment
Modules are assessed by a combination of examination and course work. Course work take various forms including a work-based project, small research projects, presentations, case study analysis, reflective statements and a skills portfolio. Part two requires a 15,000 word dissertation. Students on the full time programme or who are not currently in employment may be able to base their projects on companies from the extensive SBS employer network to provide alternatives to work based assignments.
Applicants should normally hold one or more of the following:
- An honours degree or postgraduate qualification eg. BA, MSc
- A relevant professional qualification Eg. CIPD Intermediate qualification, ILM, CIM
- Applicants who do not meet the above criteria may be admitted to the course provided their professional or managerial experience is deemed to be appropriate.
- Holders of CIPD Postgraduate qualifications may be offered exemption from part one of the programme, enabling them to ‘top up’ to a Master’s degree in a shorter time than the full MA programme.
Past students have enhanced their HRM careers in the private, public and voluntary/not for profit sectors in the UK and overseas.
Students also participate in a programme of organisational visits, workshops and CPD events (in liaison with the CIPD and Chartered Management Institute (CMI) to provide application and networking opportunities. The content of the programme is vocationally focused, using real case studies of current organisations. Students are encouraged to share their own work experience and apply their knowledge and skills in creative and innovative ways.
£1680 for the first 2 years and £1080 for the dissertation year.
UK/EU Tuition Fees
Visit our UK/EU Tuition Fees section to find out more.
Overseas Tuition Fees
Visit our Overseas Fees section to find out more.
Scholarships and Bursaries
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section.
- Membership fee (up to 12 months) £95.00
- Joining fee £40.00
The MA in HRM is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)