UWTSD Home - Study With Us - Postgraduate Courses - Leadership (MA, PGDip, PGCert)
Effective Leadership is an essential element of sustainable organisations.
The MA Leadership programme provides a transformative education that inspires, challenges, questions, and shapes effective leaders. Learning provides both intellectual and practical challenges that expand personal development within a collaborative, critically constructive community that seeks diversity of influences beyond the classroom.
Through the study of leadership, students are able to develop the skills necessary to build successful careers in most industries, including Healthcare, Engineering, Retail, Banking, Hospitality and Social Services.
The use of seminars where learners engage with external experts allows the learner access to the most current research. They are also expected to critique the input in terms of its application within their own practice and context.
The programme is suitable for those already working within a senior role or those who wish to progress into a leadership role.
Visit the University's how to apply section to find out more.
For further details, please contact Marie Pitson on email@example.com.
For our Cardiff Campus, we cannot accept applications from international students on a Student Visa.
Scholarships and Bursaries Request Information Postgraduate Loans Book a Taster Day
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Tuition Fees 2023/24:
Why choose MA Leadership at UWTSD?
- Develop the key leadership skills and knowledge you need to progress in your career
- The involvement of industry experienced and research-informed lecturers
- This programme offers a ‘step on step off’ approach, meaning that you can gain various levels of postgraduate qualifications without committing to a full Masters
- Gain a leadership qualification in a supportive learning environment
- Modules and assessment that focus on current Leadership issues and approaches.
What you will learn
The Leadership MA offers students the opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of leadership. By combining a theoretical understanding of leadership with practical engagement in leadership practice, the programme adopts a philosophy of continuing professional development.
The programme is designed to develop those wishing to develop their skills and progress into leadership roles within a variety of sectors.
Students can exit with an MA, Postgraduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate.
Awards: Flexible Learning
The MA is awarded for completion of six taught modules and a dissertation. Many students wish to study the whole MA. But there are options for those who don’t:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership : study six modules
- Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership : study three modules
Full-Time Study Pattern
- Postgraduate Certificate: 1 semester
- Postgraduate Diploma: 1 academic year
- Master of Arts: 18 months
Part-Time Study Pattern
- Postgraduate Certificate: 1 academic year
- Postgraduate Diploma: 2 academic years
- Master of Arts: 3 academic years
The programme uses a blended learning approach which allows flexibility for our learners to balance study and their work roles.
Part I (PGDip & MA)
- Contemporary Themes in Management and Leadership (20 credits; compulsory)
- Developing People in Organisations (20 credits; compulsory)
- Leaders in a Global Business (20 credits; compulsory)
- Leading Digital and Strategic Change (20 credits; compulsory)
- Research Methods (20 credits; compulsory)
- The Tools of Leadership (20 credits; compulsory).
Please note that PGCert students can study any of the above modules on an optional basis up to 60 credits (three modules).
Part II (MA)
- Dissertation (60 credits; compulsory).
The programme is assessed in a variety of formats including coursework, portfolios and seminars.
Assessments are linked to industry examples and practical activities, and include evaluation of current leaders.
Students who undertake the entire MA write a 15,000 word dissertation based on a piece of independent research on a leadership related area chosen by the student in discussion with the module lecturer. Each student is allocated a supervisor who will guide them through the research and writing process.
Swansea Business School
Cardiff Campus Applications
Currently, this course is open to UK and EU students, and any international students who will not require a Student Route Visa. All applications will be subject to review by the Programme Manager.
Swansea Campus Applications
Currently this course is open to UK, EU and international students. All applications will be subject to review by the Programme Manager.
For international students, an overall English Language level that is equivalent to an IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent) with no lower than 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking. The other academic entry requirements are the same for all students (home and international).
Applications from individuals of all disciplines are encouraged as long as they hold a degree and/or professional qualifications. We also encourage applications from individuals with professional, leadership and managerial experience who may be admitted onto a master’s programme at the discretion of the programme manager.
Applicants must be over 21 years and possess one or more of the following:
- A recognised honours degree (minimum of a 2:2) or equivalent.
- A professional qualification
- Diplomas/certificates from UWTSD
- Applicants who are over 25 years old and do not meet the above criteria may be admitted to the programme, provided their professional or managerial experience is deemed appropriate.
The programme enables students to develop the key skills and competencies required by employers in constantly competitive global markets.
The content of the programme is vocationally focused, using real case studies of current leaders. Students are also encouraged to share their own leadership experience and apply their knowledge and skills in creative and innovative ways.
As an institution, we seek to continually enhance the student experience and as a result, additional costs may be incurred by the student on activities that will add value to their education. Where possible these costs will be kept to a minimum.
The University has an excellent online library which enables all students to access a wide range of resources with no extra cost.
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.
Please visit our Accommodation pages for more information.
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions related to the University or to this course in particular.