Learn the craft of directing for the stage in practical and professionally controlled performance spaces.
The aim of our new MA in Theatre Directing is to engage with the demands and expectations of the theatre director working in the contemporary theatrical context. In this two year study you will examine the mechanics of managing a rehearsal room and develop strategies and techniques for a creative, collaborative process.You will be working with Theatre professionals and creative practitioners to understand and explore the work of the theatre director in theory and in practice.
Book an Open Day Request Information Apply Now
2 Years Full-time
Why choose this course
- Working with theatre practitioners
- Developing skills to undertake the work of a director
- Practical driven course
- Establishing professional links across the industry
- Working in a thriving creative atmosphere
What you will learn
UWTSD as a ‘creative hub’ in and around initiatives linked to the Yr Egin development.
The Programme provides students with the opportunity to develop and demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of, and practical experience, in:
- the demands and expectations of the theatre director working in the contemporary theatrical context;
- the director’s comprehension and application of techniques and methods for script rehearsal and performance;
- aspects of the modernist movement in relation to drama and theatre through the work of selected European dramatists;
- developing and staging both a Main House production as an assistant director and ‘studio’ theatre show as the main director.
Students on the programme will work with core staff, professional directors and other theatre professionals and with cohorts of performing arts undergraduate students to produce work of professional quality.
- Theatre directing theory and practice
- Approaches to Directing 1: Script, Rehearsal & Performance
- Approaches to Directing 2: Theatre Styles the assistant director
- The directing project
A mixture of Portfolio, Presentations and Director’s reports. There are practical and written assessments for each module.
Creative Carmarthen, Graduates and Industry Links
Student and Carmarthen Life
Initial degree (2:1 or higher), non-graduate with professional experience in the field.
Peter Doran Artistic Director, Torch Theatr
"In addition to accredited learning, there will be opportunities to benefit from the network of theatre companies that the Performing Arts Carmarthen team already has working connections with, for example; Mess Up The Mess, Mappa Mundi Theatre Company, Red Oak Theatre, Cardiff Fringe Festival, The Other Room and The Torch Theatre as well as the many freelance contributors that work with us each year."
"The new MA directing course is a welcome addition to the excellent creative arts courses already on offer at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David. Working alongside specialist tutors and industry professionals, the course offers excellent facilities and innovative experiences to students, which will act as a catalyst for a career within the theatre industry."