Teacher Training 1872 to present
Although Swansea Metropolitan merged with the University of Wales Trinity Saint David as recently as 2012, teacher education in Swansea has a long and distinguished history that dates back over 140 years. There have been various name changes along the way but the University is proud of its history and tradition and remains committed to being both locally rooted and globally connected.
1872 Swansea Training College
Opened in Nelson Terrace in central Swansea on 5th of February 1872 with 38 female students; it would remain a women only college until after the Second World War. The college eventually moved to its current location in Townhill in 1913.
1965 Swansea Education College
Although small numbers of male students had been admitted since the late 1950s, the college did not become fully co-educational until 1965, when it underwent the first in a series of name changes.
1976 West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education
Following a 1973 Government White Paper proposal, Swansea’s three colleges – Mount Pleasant based College of Technology, the Alexandra Road based College of Art and the Townhill based College of Education – merged in September 1976 to form the West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education.
1992 Swansea Institute of Higher Education
The difficulty in marketing West Glamorgan to potential students outside Wales led to another name change in 1992. There were major developments for the teacher training programme as well: a new School of Education was created in 2004 in preparation for the transfer of all PGCE programmes from Swansea University’s Hendrefoelan site to the SIHE in Townhill.
2008 Swansea Metropolitan University
On 17th of January, 2008, the institution received approval from the Privy Council Office at Whitehall to become the UK’s newest University, under the new name Swansea Metropolitan University. Soon afterwards, a reconfiguration of teacher education in Wales led to the formation of the South West Wales Centre of Teacher Education (SWWCTE), comprising of SMU and UWTSD. It was launched at the National Botanic Gardens on 7th of July 2011.
2012 University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Townhill Campus
As a result of the success of this partnership, SMU merged with UWTSD to form the current institution in 2012. Now all undergraduate teacher training courses are held in Carmarthen, while Townhill campus hosts all PGCE courses.
2016: Yr Athrofa: The Institute of Education
Launched in May 2016, Yr Athrofa: Institute of Education has an all-Wales reach and comprises Centres of Research Excellence, The Wales Education Commission and the Professional Learning Partnership. Yr Athrofa is working with over 100 schools to develop and deliver contemporary and innovative forms of teacher education across Wales.