The institutional archive of St David’s College, later The University of Wales, Lampeter, and constituent member of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, documents the life of the College over the two centuries since its founding in 1822.
The earliest records predate the founding of the College and include correspondence between the Founder, Bishop Burgess, and donors to his grand scheme and prospective tutors, for example, and between John Jones, the College Treasurer, and the architect, C. R. Cockerell. Official records include the Charters and Statutes, Registers, Examination Records, Minute Books, Financial Records, Annual Reports, and Calendars and Prospectuses.
The Photographic Collection and the Student Records put flesh on the bones of the ‘official’ history of the College and illuminate the personal lives of those individuals who have made up the College body in its 200 year history.
The collection also includes a small amount of material relating to St David’s College School and the Grammar School at Ystrad Meurig.
The Archive Service of the (then) University of Wales, Lampeter was established in 1970 by Lecturer in History and Honorary Archivist D. T. W. Price. Price gathered and assembled archival materials relating to the history of the college, along with the papers of former members of staff and students, while undertaking research for his two-volume work, A History of Saint David's University College, Lampeter (University of Wales Press, 1977 and 1990).
Trinity Teacher Training College, Carmarthen was established in 1848 to train Anglican men to teach in elementary schools maintained by the National Society of the Church of England. Its original name was the South Wales and Monmouthshire Training College; it was renamed Trinity College in 1931 following the construction of a new chapel on the College campus.
A detailed history of the College is available: Russell Grigg, History of Trinity College Carmarthen 1848-1998, University of Wales Press, 1998.
The Archive in Lampeter holds those College records which were transferred from the Carmarthenshire Record Office to University of Wales Trinity Saint David in 2013. The records have been divided into seven groups: Governance, Administration and Finance, Teaching and Curriculum, Estate, Student Records, College Matters and Student Affairs.
An additional deposit was received by the Roderic Bowen Research Centre in 2017 consisting largely of photographs, a small amount of documents and printed material, and information relating to the former Principal, the Rev. Canon T. Halliwell.
UWTSD’s Swansea origins lie in three educational institutions: Swansea College of Art (est. 1853), Swansea College of Education (est. 1872) and Swansea College of Technology (est. 1897).
The three institutions merged in 1976 to become West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education, which was renamed Swansea Institute of Higher Education in 1991. This institution became Swansea Metropolitan University in 2008, then merged with UWTSD’s Lampeter and Carmarthen campuses in 2013.
The archives of the Swansea institutions are in the process of being organised. Any questions about the archives should be directed to SpecialCollections@uwtsd.ac.uk