Beate Gegenwart’s research in this area is practice-based, working in a range of media including laser cut stainless steel with subtle additions of vitreous enamel, working on paper and artists' books. Beate’s research interests include the implications of vector drawing and laser technology, specifically in the context of steel and fine art enamelling.
Beate's research asks questions about drawing practice and vector technology as a creative medium to create new hybrid fine and applied arts practices. Conceptually, the focus is to investigate displacement and the condition of ‘in-between' in an era of global movement and cross-cultural references.
The conceptual aims are to create sets of visual narratives, which explore the multi-layered aspects of locality, geography, borders, place, space and language from a cross-cultural perspective.
Full academic profile
- ‘To and Fro’, Craft in the Bay, Cardiff, May 2016
- ‘Heat Exchange 2’, Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein, Munich, Germany, May 2016
- ‘Heat Exchange 2’, Galerie Waidspeicher, Kulturhof Kroenbacken, Erfurt, Germany, March 2016
- ‘Heat Exchange 2’, St. Andrews Museum, Fife, December 2015
- ‘Heat Exchange 2’, Craft in the Bay, Cardiff, September 2015
- 8th International Enamel Triennale, Muzeum Beskyd Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic, September 2015
- ‘Maker in Focus’, Mission Gallery, Swansea, September 2014
- ‘Enamel and the Printed Surface’, Studio Fusion Gallery, Oxo Tower Wharf, London,September 2014
- International Emaille Symposium, Kuenstlerwerkstaetten, Erfurt, Germany, September 2013 - 15.
- 'Alchemy 2 - A New Global Vision for Enamel', Covington, Cincinnati, USA, August 2013
- ‘Badges and Buttons, Waistcoats and Vests’, LIGHT Art + Design Gallery, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, March 2013
- ‘The Companions’, Studio Fusion Gallery, Oxo Tower Wharf, London, March 2013
- ‘Momentum’, Art and Design Gallery, University of Hertfordshire Galleries, Hatfield, November 2012
- ‘Badges and Buttons, Waistcoats and Vests’, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, October 2012
- ‘Books in Enamel’, Studio Fusion Gallery, Oxo Tower, London, September 2012
- Beyond Borders: Experimentation and Innovation in Enameling, 11th International Juried Enamel, September 2012
- Exhibition, The Richmond Arts Center, Richmond, California, 2012
- ‘Drawing, Permanence and Place’, Museum voor Vlakglas- en Emaillekunst, Ravenstein, the Netherlands, August 2012
- ‘Badges and Buttons, Waistcoats and Vests’, Velvet da Vinci, San Francisco, USA, July 2012
- ‘European Prize for Applied Arts, World Craft Council, Mons, Belgium, July 2012
- ‘Drawing, Permanence and Place’, Galerie Waidspeicher, Erfurt, Germany, June 2012
- ‘Heat Exchange’, Shemer Arts Centre, Phoenix, Arizona, May 2012
- ‘Momentum’, Craft in the Bay, Cardiff, September 2011
- ‘Drawing, Permanence and Place’, Kunstverein Coburg, Germany, September 2011
- Heat Exchange II. ISBN 978-0-9933435-0-6
- Digital Crafts by Ann Marie Shillito, published by Bloomsbury - ISBN 9781408127773, 2013
- European Prize for Applied Arts - ISBN 9782875360113, 2012
- Momentum - ISBN 978-0-9566868-1-7, 2011
- Drawing, Permanence and Place - ISBN 978-0-9560266-3-7, 2011.
- ‘Makers Using Technology’, 3D Printing residency, The National Centre for Product Design and Development Research, Institute for Sustainable Design, Cardiff Metropolitan University, 2014.
- Arts Council of Wales Large Production Grant - Activating Space and Materiality, 2014.
- Newby Trust Bursary – Enamel Research and Innovation, 2010.
‘Walk and Draw. Collaboration with Dr. Cathy Treadaway, Cardiff Metropolitan University. 2013/14.