Discover Harmony of the Three Schools of Teachings
About The Academy of Sinology
The establishment, in July 2016, of the Academy of Sinology as a joint institution between the Chin Kung Multicultural Educational Foundation and the University of Wales Trinity Saint David marked the beginning of a new era in the studies of the ancient Chinese culture, values and ethics.
Commentators have long known that China remains one of the oldest civilizations in the world, and ancient Chinese culture is shaped and governed by an emphasis on traditional values, filial piety and ancestral respect and commemoration.
The purpose of the Academy is, through education, instruction and enlightenment, to reintroduce this ancient heritage and culture to the international community, at a moment when so much change and chaos in the world today undermines people’s faith and belief in social harmony, mutual respect and peace.
The Academy seeks both to equip its students with a sound and extensive knowledge of ancient Chinese culture and values, as well as the ability to transform that knowledge into wisdom and strength. Knowledge may be power, but without its accompanying sagacity, insight and deep understanding, it simply remains a piece of futile verbalism.
The Academy wishes to guide and educate its students towards a deep understanding of the classic Chinese texts, and the legacy of the ancient Sages including the Sakyamuni Buddha, Confucius and Laozi.
Many of our students will themselves go on to further instruction and education, to spread their understanding to others throughout the world. This knowledge will be for many a deeply held vocation and purpose, spreading in turn its ancient ethics, values and insights to others, in all parts of the globe, and in pursuit of a common goal of individual happiness and the restoration of peace and harmony to the world.
In pursuit of this, the Academy believes it can offer a new type of approach to learning, a pedagogy based upon the synthesis of scholarship with the application of that learning and knowledge beyond the confines of the classroom.
This Academy of Sinology is envisioned by the wisdom, insights and learning of the Venerable Master Chin Kung, and sponsored by the Chin Kung Multicultural Education Foundation.
BE KNOWLEDGEABLE！BE HUMBLE!
BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HARMONY OF THE WORLD！
Venerable Master Chin Kung.
A Unique Academy - How is the Academy of Sinology in Lampeter so Unique?
Teaching Delivery (教學方法):
The Academy uses an immersive teaching methodology (itself familiar to the ancient sages) by delivering the programme sequentially, one module at a time. This approach allows the students to focus their learning upon one subject until they are fully absorbed into the deep understanding and meaning of the Chinese texts and are able to translate their learning into deep understanding and insight by the end of each module.
There are six modules in each MA programme. Each module will be delivered in eight consecutive weeks with a combination of lectures, small group seminars, self-study, presentation practice and essay writing.
Similar approach of BA programme, there are three levels in total and five modules at each level; while Pre-BA programme contains five modules for the duration of one academic year.
There is great emphasis placed on the presentation to ensure that the students are able to effectively communicate the ideals and knowledge learnt.
Teaching Material (教學材料):
The Academy believes in the centrality of teaching and learning directly from the ancient Chinese written texts themselves. Students are thus fully immersed in the ancient texts which is the essential part to the learning process. Each module is guided by and aligned with selections from the writings of the ancient Chinese sages.
Teaching Schedule (教學時間):
MA programme will span 72 weeks running consecutively, except for the public holidays, in order to provide students with enough time, focus and concentration, to intensively learn the ancient texts study and to complete study assessments and practice presentations.
The duration of each BA level is usually between 44 and 46 weeks; Pre-BA programme runs for around 40 weeks.
Teaching Culture (教學文化):
The Academy of Sinology places great emphasis upon the formal presentation and communication of the ideas, concepts and teachings of the ancient Chinese sages to the rest of the seminar group.
Students will work closely and collaboratively with teaching staff to encourage student participation and peer learning, thus operating in a supportive and inclusive learning environment unique to the Academy, a pedagogy we refer as the “Family Culture of Sinology”.
Such a learning culture allows the teachers and the students to work and learn together just like a big family of sinologists. In this way the Academy of Sinology is a close and supportive environment brought together to jointly learn and study the great texts and ideas of traditional Chinese culture.
Special Features of these degree programmes:
- Chinese-English bilingual teaching is adopted in the Academy of Sinology. 80% of the lectures are delivered in Chinese and 20% in English. 60% of the assessments are conducted in Chinese and 40% in English.
- Explore the three facets of the ancient Chinese world: Confucianism, Buddhism and Daoism which represent the three integrated parts of Chinese ancient tradition. Therefore, some common modules, especially modules which focus on classical Chinese language and essential values and cultural and political principles will be shared by the 3 different MA courses.
- Study with scholars and textual experts in ancient Chinese religion, language and ideas from around the world.
- Study through a direct and close engagement with ancient Chinese texts, ideas and works covering areas of Confucianism, Buddhism and Daoism.
- Become one of the first students enrolled on this unique set of postgraduate programmes.
- The courses are aimed not only at learning the language, religion and culture of ancient China but at beginning the training for Sage teachers who through example will have a real impact on society via their own daily moral practices and teaching activities.
- Study using the unique pedagogic approach derived from the ‘Royal Great Learning’ (皇家太學) educational model, which relies upon intensive textual study and reflection.
- Focus your study upon detailed textual study of the Complete Library of the Four Branches of Literature.