What are the entry requirements?

Please see the Student Fees and Finance page.

Normally we expect a good BA in a relevant subject. However, we would also like to see an example of recent academic writing. If you do not have such an example, or if your first degree is a BSc and did not require essay writing, you should submit a 3000 word academic essay on a topic in the subject area. Guidance is available on this. Essays or examples of academic writing should be sent direct to Nick Campion.

We can also accept students who can demonstrate suitable prior professional or educational experience. Please write to the course director.

What is my first step?

Initial inquiries should be directed to the course director, Dr Nick Campion (n.campion@tsd.ac.uk). Please let us know your background, including any academic qualifications.

When should I apply?

At present we take new students in January and October. Ideally you should apply by end of June for an October start and end of November for a January start. The applications procedure within the university involves several stages and we need time to complete these.

Are there any residency requirements? Do I have to come to the UK?

No. All course material is on-line and there is no need to come to the UK. Students study from home.

How much work is involved?

You should allow around two days a week during term–time for part-time studies and four days full-time. If you do not have recent academic experience, you may find initially that more time is required.

How long does the course take?

Two years full time, up to four years part-time.

What are the fees?

See the separate folder, ‘Applications and Fees’.

Why are students outside the European Union charged more?

This is standard. Most countries charge students who are not domestic tax-payers more for university courses.

Application packs

To be updated

Language requirements

All students must meet the minimum English language requirements of the University of Wales Lampeter. Applicants whose first language is not English must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or its equivalent. Students who do not reach this level will be required to undertake further English as a Foreign Language study prior to commencing the course. Those students for whom English is a second language and whose BA or MA degree is from an English-language university will not be required to produce an IELTS certificate.

Is funding available?

We may have 20% scholarships for financial hardship. Consult Dr Campion.

Are Federal loans available for US and Canadian students?

No loans are available for distance learning programmes. This is contrary to the advice given on the FAFSA website, http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, and by FAFSA advisers. 

Can I pay in instalments?

Yes. If you pay in instalments, the University may, for example, charge you two instalments of 40% of the year’s fees and one of 20%. If you are registered for the MA, the minimum number of modules for which you can register in a year is two (unless you are an ‘occasional student’).

How do I pay?

To be updated.

Are there any other costs?

There are no formal costs. However, to participate in on-line classes will require a web-cam – about ten pounds sterling or ten US dollars. Some students will wish to purchase extra books, even though most course materials will be on-line.

How long does the course take?

Normally one to two years full-time or three to four years part-time. 

Should I study full-time or part-time?

This is a matter of individual choice. Some students like to complete the MA as quickly as possible. On the other hand, we have found that part-time students have more time to enjoy their studies and may have a richer experience, while full-time students feel that their period on the MA was rushed. In addition if you have extensive family commitments, or are working to support yourself, or do not have recent academic experience, you would, in any case, always be recommended to study part-time. It may be possible to study full-time if you are willing to relocate to Lampeter.

How much work is involved?

Over the duration of the MA, students take six twenty credit modules and then write a dissertation worth 60 credits. A full-time student would take three modules per term. One twenty credit module would therefore require about 10 to 12 hours of study per week. Each module consists of eight weeks of course work plus, usually an extra four weeks to complete the final essay. Students work in their own time depending on other professional or family commitments. If you do not have recent academic experience, you may find initially that more time is required.