Sports Coaching & Performance (BSc)
The BSc in Sports Coaching and Performance is a one-year top-up designed for students who have already achieved a Foundation Degree or 240 credits in a related discipline. It is a practice-based programme to prepare you for a career in the Sports Industry. Uniquely the course is based at UWTSD Carmarthen and delivered by Coleg Sir Gâr so you will be both students of UWTSD and Coleg Sir Gâr
This exciting programme is designed to ensure you experience a current and academically rigorous learning experience that meets the needs of local industry. You will be supported in your studies by a team of highly inspirational academic staff who have extensive experience of working and researching in the fields of sport coaching and performance.
The programme has strong links with elite professional teams such as the Scarlets and Swansea City FC, where students have the opportunity to gain industry experience at the highest level.
The degree also benefits from community links built up over many years, placing students in local schools and with National Governing Body Sports Development Officers which provide an insight into potential employment routes.
Book an Open Day
Book a Taster Day
Request a Call Back
PATHWAY OPTIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Tuition Fees 2021/22:
Home (Full-time): £9,000 per year
Why choose this course?
- Strong practical focus at all levels of the programme.
- Highly experienced and inspirational teaching team who have developed internationally recognised programmes in the field.
- Small class sizes allow for a highly personalised learning experience.
- Free access to all sports facilities to enhance personal and professional development.
- Sport Coaching and Performance is studied on the Carmarthen campus which offers a friendly and personal learning experience. All social, recreational and educational facilities are on this campus, though some practical learning experiences may be located throughout Carmarthenshire and West Wales.
- Lecturing staff are also based on the Carmarthen campus and are easily accessible for tutorials to support all aspects of study.
- A very active Student Union provides an extensive array of sport and leisure activities as well as supporting your social needs.
- Opportunities to work with organisations and clients in real-life situations.
- Free access to the health suite, sports hall and swimming pool to support degree interests.
What you will learn
Areas of study include Sports Coaching, Sports Analysis, Sports Performance and Strength and Conditioning. You will also develop transferable interpersonal skills such as advanced research skills, problem solving, autonomous learning and critical thinking skills in preparation for a career in sport. The programme also has a work based learning element so students can gain vital experience in their area of interest.
- Observation & Analysis of Sports Performance
- High Performance Coaching
- Strength and Conditioning 3
- Work Based Learning 3
- Independent Study
Modules are assessed through a combination of assignments, case studies, logbooks and practical skills assessments.
Healthy Carmarthen, Meet the Graduates and Carmarthen Campus
- Lee Tregoning
- Euros Evans
- Stephen Williams
- Jonathan Garcia
- Jonathan Roberts
This is a one year course designed for students who have achieved a Foundation Degree or 240 credits at Higher Education level (120 at Level 4 & 120 at Level 5) in a related discipline.
Potential career pathways may include Sports Administrator, Coach/Instructor, Development Officer, Sport Analyst, Strength and Conditioning Coach, PE Teacher or College Lecturer. Alternative career pathways may include emergency services, armed services and youth work.
- Sports clothing (£40-£60) depending on course.
Katy Harries (Currently a Personal Trainer) Graduated 2021
“Joining the degree was the right path for me and I believe that no matter what your age, if you want to study a degree then you should do it. The staff have been amazing and so supportive and being in a small class, you get to know each other so well and we are all supportive of each other.”
Bursary / Scholarship Information