Alexandra Büchler Degree in Philology, MA
Director, Literature Across Frontiers
Tel: 01267 676767
- Director of Literature Across Frontiers
- Management Team, Wales Literature Exchange
- Management Team: Literary Europe Live Plus
- Management Team: Ulysses’ Shelter
Arts and culture manager, literary translator and editor, non-fiction translation in the area of art and architecture, organiser of large-scale literary projects, translation workshops leader, literary and publishing industry speaker.
- Member, Executive Committee, European Civil Society Platform for Multilingualism
- Board Member, Mercator Rhyngwladol / Mercator International
- Representing LAF as member of Culture Action Europe advocacy network
- Representing LAF as member of the Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for the Dialogue Between Cultures
- Supervisor KESS PhD students
- Strategic Action for Internationalisation of the Children's Publishing Sector in Wales (Megan Farr) in partnership with Books Council Wales
- Exploring Digital Opportunities in Developing and Implementing a Sustainable International Strategy: National Eisteddfod of Wales (Nici Beech) in partnership with National Eisteddfod.
Literary translation, diversity in publishing, arts and culture policy, international literary exchange and translation, support for literary translation
Literary translation, publishing of translated literature, arts and culture policy and public support, cultural management, management of literary and translation projects
Publishing, Literary Translation, Intercultural Exchange, Literary Festivals, Arts Policy.
Editing and translation:
J. M. Coetzee, Čekání na barbary, Jota, Prague, 2020 (translation of novel Waiting for the Barbarians into Czech)
Zero Hours on the Boulevard: Tales of Independence and Belonging, Parthian Books, 2019, co-edited with Alison Evans
Poetry Connections India / Wales series of five volumes, edited with Sampurna Chattarji, Poetrywala, Mumbai, 2018
Elsewhere, Where Else by Eurig Salisbury and Sampurna Chattarji
Open Me My Shadow by Avner Pariat and Rhys Trimble
Interversions by Nia Davies and Mamta Sagar
A Different Water by Sian Melangell Dafydd and Anitha Thampi
Aerial Roots by Subhro Bandopadhyay and Nicky Arscott
Jan Weiss, The House of a Thousand Floors, Central European University Press European Classics series, Budapest, 2016 (translation into English of the Czech modern classic novel Dům o tisíci patrech)
Editor of bilingual poetry anthology series New Voices from Europe and Beyond at Arc Publications, comprising 14 volumes 2006-2016
Editor of the series of digital reports on publishing translated literature in the United Kingdom and Europe and surveys of key European national organisations supporting literary exchange and translation, published by Literature Across Frontiers and available to download from its website.
Publishing Translations in the United Kingdom and England, statistical report, 2012 and 2015, with Giulia Trentacosti
Literary Translation from Arabic into in the United Kingdom and Ireland, with Alice Guthrie, 2011
- Culture and Creative Europe multiannual, multi-partner grants 2001, 2005, 2008, 2015 and 2018 as lead organisation.
- Grants from Arts Council Wales, and other arts funding bodies in the UK, and from various international foundations, e.g. Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for Dialogue Between Cultures, Jan Michalski Foundation, Open Society, European Cultural Foundation.
- Conferences organised as part of LAF programme: The Future of Support for Literary Translation, Prague, 2001, Finland 2003, Istanbul 2011, Malta 2013, Aberystwyth 2016
- Organiser and leader of literary translation workshops and practical workshops with international publishers across Europe and overseas
- Speaker and moderator international industry events – book fairs, literary festivals, publishing conferences across Europe and overseas
- Organiser of panel debates and seminars at international industry events across Europe and overseas
- Member of Wales PEN Cymru Translation and Linguistic Rights Committee
- Member of Literary Translation Centre at the London Book Fair steering committee
- Member of Advisory Board, Asia Pacific Writers and Translators