Dr Catherine Morgan BA(Oxon), MA(Oxon), MA(Ed), PhD, PGCE, LLCM, FHEA
Programme Director: Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD) (full-time pathway)
Tel: +44 (0) 1267 676692
- Programme Director: Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD) (full-time pathway)
- Module Lead: Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD) (part-time pathway)
- Module Lead: Postgraduate Certificate in Education with QTS
- Subject Lead for Postgraduate Certificate in Education with QTS: Secondary Music
- National MA in Education Dissertation Supervisor
- EdD Thesis Supervisor
- Member of the UWTSD Research Ethics Committee
Catherine joined UWTSD in 2001, having previously been a teacher in several primary and secondary schools. During her time at UWTSD, she has undertaken a range of roles including Deputy Lead of the BA(Ed) programme, Tutor for Admissions and Strategic Lead for Quality in ITE. She is currently the Programme Director of the Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD) (full-time pathway), a module lead on the Professional Doctorate in Education (part-time pathway) and is involved in the teaching and assessment of modules on the National MA in Education and on the PGCE Primary and Secondary programmes.
Catherine was awarded her PhD in 2021 for a thesis relating to the way in which Welsh is taught by trainee teachers in English-medium primary schools.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- ECAD7004/C Researching the Learning: what, how and why am I teaching? (PGCE)
- ECAD6008 Leading the Learning: what, how and why am I teaching? (PGCE Secondary Music)
- National MA(Ed) ARES module lecturer and dissertation supervisor
- ECDE7002 and ECDE7012 (Professional Doctorate in Education – full-time pathway)
- ECDE7013 (Professional Doctorate in Education – part-time pathway)
- EdD thesis supervisor
- The teaching and learning of Welsh as a second language
- Music Education
Catherine’s areas of expertise include:
- the teaching of Welsh as a second language in the primary school;
- the teaching and learning of Music in the primary, secondary and further education sectors.
2014-16: Trainer – Music in the Foundation Phase: Mudiad Ysgolion Meithrin
2017-21: Subject Expert – Welsh Second Language: Qualifications Wales
2019-21: Author – BBC Bitesize (GCSE Music): BBC
2022-23 – Subject Consultant (Welsh), Qualified for the Future: Qualifications Wales
Davies, C. Davies, S., Jenkins, F., Jenkins, R., Lewis, H., Morgan, C. & Richards, C. (2012) Cam Cyntaf - Cerddoriaeth yn y Cyfnod Sylfaen / First Steps - Music in the Foundation Phase. Carmarthen: Peniarth.
Hayward, L., Jones, D. E., Waters, J., Makara, K., Morrison-Love, D., Spencer E., Barnes, J., Davies, H., Hughes, S., Jones, C., Nelson, S., Ryder, N., Stacey, D., Wallis, R., Baxter, J., MacBride, G., Bendall, R., Brooks, S., Cooze, A., Davies, L., Denny, H., Donaldson, P., Lewis, I., Lloyd, P., Maitra, S., Morgan, C., Pellew James, S., Samuel-Thomas, S., Sharpling, E., Southern, A., Stewart, S., Valdera-Gil, F. & Wardle, G. (2018) Learning about Progression: CAMAU Project Research Report. University of Glasgow: Glasgow.
Barnes, J., Greenway, C. & Morgan, C. (2021) How has Covid-19 affected how teacher educators engage their students in learning? British Educational Research Association.
Barnes, J., Greenway, C. & Morgan, C. (2021) How has Covid-19 affected the way in which teacher educators engage their students in learning? (Blog) British Educational Research Association.
Morgan. C. (2021) An exploration of the perceptions of undergraduate trainee teachers regarding the factors that impacted upon their use of incidental Welsh in the primary classroom. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Wales Trinity Saint David: Carmarthen
2015-19: External Examiner: University of Chester
2017-23: Member of CAMAU Research Team: UWTSD & University of Glasgow
2019-23: External Examiner: Oxford Brookes University