Gwyn Emberton BA Hons Dance Performance
- Co-ordination and delivery of BA (Hons) Dance at UWTSD
- Management of programme teaching team
- Co-ordination duties involve programme design, programme validation and programme management
- Programme promotion and recruitment
- Pastoral care of all learners enrolled on programme.
Responsible for delivering the following modules at Levels 4, 5 and 6:
- Introduction to Contemporary Techniques
- Dance in Context
- Exploring Dance Styles
- Dance and Psychological Wellbeing
- Repertoire in Context
- Choreography and Creative Practice
- Independent project
- Interdisciplinary Arts
- Major Project
After performing with several of the major choreographers and companies from the UK and Israel, including Akram Khan, Matthew Bourne, Jasmin Vardimon, Scottish Dance Theatre, and Inbal Pinto, Gwyn returned to Wales to form his own company, Gwyn Emberton Dance.
Since then, the company has fast become one of the leading contemporary dance theatre companies from Wales, with work being performed extensively across Wales, the rest of the UK, Europe and the Middle East.
Gwyn is one-third of Light, Ladd & Emberton, for which he co-directs and performs, alongside renowned Welsh performers Eddie Ladd and Deborah Light. Since 2014, Gwyn has been a part of international contemporary dance collective iCoDaCo, collaborating with many international choreographers and creatives in a biennial choreographic and performance project reaching across the globe.
- One Dance UK
- International Association of Dance Science and Medicine
I approach this role with many years of professional practice at the highest level and draw from my experiences as a dancer with many of the leading choreographers and companies working today, as well as from own choreographic (dance theatre) practice. My teaching approach has developed over many year at working at FE and HE, alongside my choreographic and performance careers.
My interests are in contemporary techniques and improvisation, choreography as an interdisciplinary practice, repertoire and performance, and the role of health and wellbeing in dance training and education. My passions lie in the dissemination and advancement of practical and academic experience and knowledge in dance, with a specific focus on developing the art-form in Wales as an international endeavour. I am also interested in how best to use dramaturgy in the making of dance.
Looking back to moving forwards - researching and responding to the history of Welsh dance as a means to developing a new approach to making choreographic work.
- International performer in contemporary dance, dance theatre and physical theatre.
- Choreographic practice in dance theatre.
- Dramaturgy in a collective process and for choreographers in the early stages of their careers.
- Founding and running one of Wales’ leading dance companies – Gwyn Emberton Dance.
- One third of pioneering Welsh collective - Light, Ladd & Emberton.
- International collaboration.
- Dance theatre dramaturgy for choreographers and dance makers in the early stages of their choreographic careers and for dance collectives.
Productions for Gwyn Emberton Dance
Raft (2107) Wales touring
Shadow of a Quiet Society (2015) Wales and England touring
My People (2014) Wales, England and Scotland touring
Of the Earth, from where I came (2015) Wales, England, Israel, Sweden
Triptych (2015) for De Oscuro, Wales touring (Wales Theatre Award recipient)
For iCoDaCo (International Contemporary Dance Collective
Received funding for Gwyn Emberton Dance and as Gwyn Emberton from:
- Arts Council of Wales
- Arts Council England
- Creative Europe for iCoDaCo 2018/2020
- Coreo Cymru
- Creu Cymru